Risk granting view definition to application logins for sp_helptext queries
I have an interesting request for view definition for all application logins to determine correct SP definitions are being deployed when executing sp_helptext by the apps. Usually I only grant view definition to users that need this information but they are trying to automate that process. I am concerned with security issues that may result. Can anyone think of any reason (e.g., sql injection) why this is not a good idea?
August 28th, 2015 5:52pm

The lack of VIEW DEFINITION permission provides a secondary level of defense if a SQL injection vulnerability is exploited.  With VIEW DEFINITION permissions, a hacker that gains access under the application security context could see the underlying proc code.  This knowledge won't be a big deal if no permissions are granted on those objects but will facilitate intrusion if the account also has permissions on those objects.

I think a better approach would be to deploy and validate using a privileged account rather than the application logins.  That would eliminate the need to grant more permissions than actually needed for application execution.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 6:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics