Richcopy copy and purge not working in same job

I am migrating from a Win2003 file server over to a Win2012 R2 file server.  I have two very large shares that need to be copied to the new file server.  Initially I was going to use Richcopy for the bulk copy, but realized it was going to take to long.  So, I opted to restore the data (with security perms) from DPM backup to the new server...this was a faster option than Richcopy.  Since the 2003 server is still in use, now I want to use Richcopy to refresh the data on the 2012 server before the cutover.  

I attempted a Richcopy job running from the source server.  I am copying if file size or security setting is different between source and destination.  I also chose the Purge option because not only do I want to update changes, I also want to delete any files on dest. that have been deleted from the source.  The combination of these options dont seem to work together.  If I choose Purge, the job only seems to purge files on the destination, it doesnt seem to copy any changes.  I would like to perform a single "refresh" job and not have to run two separate copy and purge jobs between the servers.  

Does anyone know if the result I am seeing is by design or is what I am asking even possible?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richie Tenhet

May 21st, 2015 6:26pm

Hi Richie,

According to your description, the richcopy has deleted the files but not copied files, please refer to the options in this article:

Copy if Availability in Destination: Not exist
Enabling this option will copy files that exist in the source that do not exist in the destination.
Copy if File size is: Different
Enabling this option will copy files where the size of the source file is different than the size of the destination file.
Copy if Time stamp is: Updated
Enabling this option will copy files where the time stamp of the source file is newer than the time stamp of the destination file.
Date/Time type: Last write
Enabling this option will base the time stamp comparison on the last write time.

Refer to:

How to Replicate File Shares Using Microsoft RichCopy

To migrate file server, I also recommend you can use the cmd robocopy, and it can be available by installing this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=17657

Then you can refer to this article:

Migrating File Servers from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 R2

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 25th, 2015 2:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics