Return MemberOf for ADGoups

Hi

Get-ADUser Property MemberOf is very good for returning user membership of ADGroups however I am trying to do the same for ADGroups - In Active Directory I want to return the Details for the Member Of Tab for an ADGroup

Thanks TerryV

September 2nd, 2015 8:23pm

Google:  "get ad group members"

If it wasn't so simple we would have to invent Google just so we would know the answer:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=get+ad+group+members

Once you learn a little about computers and the Internet you will be able to learn how to do your own searches.  Searches are very easy but new users can't always understand how to search for things.

Good luck.  Look into how to use a search engine.  It wild save you a lot of time.

;)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 8:39pm

Thanks for the tip

Yes I am aware of the Get-ADGroupMemebers cmdlet in PowerShell.

However I have the scenario where we apply User Access via an ADGroup. This ADGroup is then a Member Of another ADGroup where we have implemented Folder Access.

I am wanting to return the details in the Member Of Tab in ADUC MMC for the ADGroup where we have applied user access and not the list of users.

I have found the answer - Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership

Thanks TerryV

September 2nd, 2015 9:23pm

As I noted above;  you have to learn to ask the right question.

You want the groups a user is a member of and not the members of a group.  If you carefully read your original question I believe you will see that you reversed the target of you requirement in the explanation.

You want what you originally reversed you way out oof. You want what is on the "memberOf" tab of the user.

September 2nd, 2015 9:39pm

hi jrv

No I wanted the "Member Of" of for a Group - Not the membership of the group - but the group detail  "member of" and not members

we have groups named G-ROL-Server-Share-Folder and are used to add users - The G-ROL-Server-Share-Folder is then a "Member Of" D-DAT-Server-Share-Folder which applies the NTFS Security Permissions on the Folder - I have a list of G-ROL Groups and I needed their corresponding D-DAT Group to ensure how our Access Standards are implemented correctly.

Thanks TerryV

September 2nd, 2015 9:53pm

Are you saying you want the groups a group is a member of?

September 2nd, 2015 10:33pm

Yes - That is exactly what I need - Thanks
September 2nd, 2015 10:39pm

You can do the same thing you do with Get-ADUser:

Get-ADGroup 'Test Group 1' -Properties MemberOf

September 2nd, 2015 10:45pm

Thanks All for your input but I was able to retrieve the required information using the Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership
September 2nd, 2015 11:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics