Retired Server still in Registry under NTDS
Hi Everyone,Our PDC is still showing our old PDC's name under the following registry key:"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NTDS\Parameters->Src Root Domain Srv"Under the following Microsoft article it states to delete that key:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332199But it also states:"This value must be deleted so that the domain controller sees itself as the only domain controller in the domain after promotion."I am worried about the "only" part because we have two DCs.Is it safe to delete this key, or should I change it to the current PDC's name?I have gone through the metadata cleanup but the old server does not exist in there, also, this was a successful demotion and transfer of FSMO roles.Thanks,ChrisChris
February 12th, 2009 5:52am

Hello, If metadata cleanup was performed successfully then there should be no issue, on the other hand you can also run Dcdiag /fix on the DC which shall take care about all you oldentries :)Thanks and Hope it helps if doesnt then we are here as always.Syed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2009 10:31am

Hi Syde,Thanks for the quick reply.Actually, I don't know if I can say the metadata cleanup process was successful because the previous DC was successfully demoted.So I went through all the steps, but could not find any references to the previous DC.Additionally, I ran "dcdiag /fix", it spat out a few errors for the system log test (but I fixed those), but it didn't remove/fix the entries in the registry.Also, there is a "Src Srv objectGuid" key in the same NTDS\Parameters section that looks like it has the guid of the old DC.We have two DCs right now, and they both have this setting in the CurrentControlSet, ControlSet001, and ControlSet002.Because this is on both of our DCs, I am worried it may cause problems in the future.Thanks,ChrisChris
February 16th, 2009 10:50am

Hi Chris, Have you any luck in this issue. I have exactly the same scenario. Our PDC demote gracefully but DCs at all location are still showing our old PDC's name under the following registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NTDS\Parameters->Src Root Domain Srv" Regards, Miaraeen
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 16th, 2010 8:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics