Restore filelistonly

RESTORE filelistonlyFROMDISK='\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'

Returns:

Msg 3201, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot open backup device '\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'. Operating system error 53(The network path was not found.).

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally.

This is a 2014 database and I receive the same error message whether I am running from 2012 or 2014 Management Studio.  This command works fine with any 2012 DB backup.  I have also tried coping the backup file to my local drive with the same result.  The same happens from other machines as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

July 21st, 2015 7:36pm

It is clear that you do not have enough permissions to read the back up file.

"Cannot open backup device '\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'. Operating system error 53(The network path was not found.)."

copy the backup file locally and run the command.

or you can try this. from your run prompt enter this and \\ServerShare 

If you have permission remote folder will open. If not you need read permissions for that folder.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2015 7:38pm

"Cannot open backup device '\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'. Operating system error 53(The network path was not found.)."

If you have permission remote folder will open. If not you need read permissions for that folder.

July 21st, 2015 11:30pm

July 21st, 2015 11:30pm

Hi Rick,

Please find the below link

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2011/12/17/sql-server-fix-error-msg-3201-level-16-cannot-open-backup-device-operating-system-error-3-the-system-cannot-find-the-path-specified/

Don't forget to mark helpful posts, and answers. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question.

July 22nd, 2015 12:31am

Hi,

1. Please make sure that path name you have given is correct

2. Please also make sure SQL Server service account has full permission on \\Servershare and also on subfolders. Make sure you add sql server service account to have full permission on each folder

July 22nd, 2015 12:50am

Please try with bellow steps.

Step1: Need to check shared path open or not on Run \\ServerShare
Step2: Need to check Permission on file Folder
Step3: Need to Check Backup expired or not RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK = '\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'
Step4: Finaly RESTORE filelistonlyFROMDISK='\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'

Good Luck! 
Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue. 
Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

July 22nd, 2015 1:50am

Step3: Need to Check Backup expired or not RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK = '\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'
Step4: Finaly RESTORE filelistonlyFROMDISK='\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'

Good Luck! 

July 22nd, 2015 5:42am

Good Luck! 

July 22nd, 2015 5:42am

so hope u have full access to servershare folder and whats the command you use after you copied file to local ?

Is that same error for local restore? I don't think it should be.... where there any expiry mentioned when you took ba

July 23rd, 2015 3:53pm

Also try if u can map a drive to \\servername\servershare\? or try restore by using

RESTORE filelistonlyFROMDISK='\\servername\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'

If u have problems mapping the drive, then there is a Share problem, may be some firewall or number of concurrent connections. You may also need to check with Server Admins

July 23rd, 2015 4:08pm

As I mentioned above, I have tried copying the file locally with the same result. The same ServerShare is also used for other backups which work just fine.
July 23rd, 2015 4:17pm

Yes, I have tried mapping the share, unfortunately I have the same results.
July 23rd, 2015 4:18pm

Yes, I have tried mapping the share, unfortunately I have the same results.

I just tried running below command

RESTORE filelistonly FROM DISK='\\ServerShare\Database_Full_20150720_171001.BAK'

it gave me error what you are getting. Actually i dont have this share so I guess your request is not able to find the fileshare so it might not be permission issue may be some firewall is in between blocking request.

You said you cannot map this share which means its not accessible so you should first see you can get access to that file share bu going to run and typing \\Servershare.

Plus don't take backup on root of shared drive please create a folder inside and give SQL Server service account complete privilege on fileshare and folder. Before that make sure you can access it and map it

July 23rd, 2015 4:25pm

\\ServerShare is not the name of the actual share, I used it as a short name.  The full path is; \\ncmdd2500\backupdata\Databases\NCMSQL0101\SelfHealing, which will not work for you of course.  Also, I did map the share but had the same results.  I can use this command on other backups on this server just not 2014 backups.  And that might be the key.
July 29th, 2015 7:33pm

It is not permissions given I am able to run the same command on other backups from the same server and yes I do see subfolder and files when I open \\ServerShare from a command prompt. Coping the file to my local drive has yielded the same results.

July 29th, 2015 7:44pm

The path is correct, today we use this same share for restoring other databases.
July 29th, 2015 7:47pm

I used the same command except using the logical drive path for where I had copied the file.  All our backups are set to never expire.
July 29th, 2015 7:56pm

Thanks for the suggestion however the issue in Pinal Dave's blog is about backing up a database to a path that does not exist.  My case is where I am just trying to read a backup that already exists.
July 29th, 2015 8:02pm

map this location with and then try to run this script .
July 29th, 2015 8:07pm

I just experienced something rather strange.  I had tried, before posting, running the same command on other 2014 DB backups and all have had the same result.  While I was visiting this post I tried again and was able to run the command successfully one of the backups however it did error on another.  Also, another tidbit is that I ran the same command on a backup from another 2014 database server that I had manually performed ending with the same results.  Could this be a bug?
July 29th, 2015 8:09pm

Are you trying to restore the backup taken on one server to another? Are you able to create a fresh backup and restore it on the same server (creating a new database to keep the original)?
July 29th, 2015 11:04pm

I have found the answer, not as I had hoped but none the less an answer that I was able to test.  The production backups are from a 2014 database server-build 12.0.2000.8 and I am trying to restore to a 2014 database server-build 12.0.4100.1 with a compressed backup, if the backup is uncompressed then all is fine.  I tested restoring the same backup to a 2014 database server-build 12.0.2000.8 with no issue, it was the same whether compressed or not.  So it would seem that there is an issue with build 12.0.4100.1 with compressed backups from a previous version.

My resolution is to apply SP1 to our production systems and all will be good.  Thanks for everyone's help and input.

August 13th, 2015 11:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics