Restart svchost.exe without restarting the server
Hi All, Is it possible to restart the svchost.exe without restarting the server. Regards, Manoj Kumar Singh
August 4th, 2011 2:17pm

Possible to a point I would say. It really depends on the process and services that exists under the svchost.exe instance you're trying to restart. For example, you could attempt to restart a svchost.exe instance that its servicing DHCP, TCP/IP Netbios, Windows Audio, Windows Event Log and the Security Center and that shouldn't signal a system restart, however the history won't be the same if you try that with the instance hosting the RPC service. What are you trying to accomplish?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 4th, 2011 2:47pm

The thing is that, i don;t want to restart the OS. I just want to restart the OS services. Any Idea ??
August 8th, 2011 3:21am

Again, it depends on the service and what that service is in charge of, not all would trigger a restart, killing the ones maintaining the most basic interprocess communications and OS functionality will.
August 8th, 2011 6:42am

OK I AGREED. Suppose i hv applied SP1 or SP2 on OS it need restart to apply But i want to deploy SP without restarting the OS. Any idea ??? :)
August 9th, 2011 12:19am

Service packs, like many other updates (cumulatives or not), often need to restart in order to change system files that can't be updated while the entire system is running so you can install a SP or CU and don't restart but there's a change that errors corrected by those updates won't be applied... unless you restart. For updates and if the system affected by those is critical, you need to define a planned downtime unless there's information (based on your tests or other's) that the update can disrupt your system or that you don't really need it (in which case, no need for SP to be deployed no need to restart anything)
August 9th, 2011 5:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics