Resource Pools

Hi!

I have two question about resource pools.

1) If I want to have to separate MS server for Web Monitoring. Is the correct way to create one resource pools (Web Monitoring Resource Pool) with this two new MS server and don't remove them from the resource pools:

* All Management Servers Resource Pool

* Notifications Resource Pool

* AD Assignment Resource Pool  

2) If one customer have change all SCOM standard resource pools from Automatic to Manual and remove many of the MS server to own created resource pools. I suppose this will not be so good. Many of the workflow will not work. Is it safe to change back this three resource pools to Automatic? I have read that for example the "All Management Servers Resource Pool" automatically will remove all MS server from this resource pool and then add every MS server into to it again. This process can take some time to process.

//Mats A       

August 31st, 2015 11:07am

Hi 

yes, you can use resource pool for web application monitoring for high availability and it is not mandatory to remove MS from default resource pool's.

if there are very high number of web application need to be monitored, to maintain load on MS you can dedicate one of the resource pool for web application monitoring by removing from default resource pool to maintain load.

when you add any new Ms it will be part of 3 default resource group and all new resource groups will be manual, by making default 3 group to manual, it is one time activity to add new MS to this 3 groups and it will take much time.

making default resource groups manual will help you to dedicate MS for different monitoring activities and improve performance and scale scom monitoring.

Regards

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 7:25am

Hi

If you want to target workflow at a specific custom resource pool you can do that. If you remove the MS for the default resource pools, it will not be able to participate in any of the default resource pool taks, like AD Assignment, Notification or the default workflows which are targeted at AMSRP. Here is a very good description http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/08/22/topology-changes-in-system-center-2012-operations-manager-overview.aspx

You can safely change back from Manual to automatic. automatic means, if you add a MS to the MG, it will be added automatically to These pools. Just make sure, before you switch to automatic, that all MS are in the proper pools.

Cheers,

Stefan

September 1st, 2015 3:17pm

So you mean that in my case, where I have 5 MS servers, shall I add all MS server in the three default RP or:

• All Management Servers Resource Pool - add all MS servers
  • Notifications Resource Pool - add just one or more MS server that will handle notification. If I not use any GSM modem, which MS server shall I add?
  • AD Assignment Resource Pool  - add all MS server or just one?

Then I can decide if I then want to put the resource pools in automatic or keep it as manual.

//Mats A

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 10:35am

without knowing your architecture and your requirements, it isn't really possible for anyone to give detailed advice on how best to configure you Resource Pools.

In general:

- Notifications Resource Pool. If you choose a command channel that fires a script then any management server in this pool could run that script. So the script needs to be in the same place on all MS in the pool. If you put all MS in the pool then any one of them could be running it. And that MS could also be responsible for a gateway server \ monitoring Linux servers and so be under quite heavy resource load. This could impact the notifications .. so you might want to decide which MS run notification workflows.

- AD Assignment. Do you use AD Integration?

These might be useful: 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/08/22/topology-changes-in-system-center-2012-operations-manager-overview.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rslaten/archive/2013/05/30/management-servers-turn-gray-when-they-are-removed-from-the-amsrp.aspx

Regards

Graham

September 4th, 2015 4:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics