Resource Monitor TCP Connections
Hi looking at the TCP Connections I can see an imense number of lines (open ports?) with no image name and no PID. I have my local address a local port a remote address and a remote port. Some of these are black, some are greyed out. Could somebody please explain this to me? What is the difference between a black and agrey line? Are these all open ports not closing (releasing) the local port? Where in generall can I fine information about the features of Resource monitor? The help is not a good help. Thanks
August 27th, 2012 11:36pm

Hello, A process that is no long running will appear as a gray entry and will disappear when the data expires. The process name and PID will be empty if cannot be detected. Use TCPview Tool to view the PID and Process name. TCPView http://technet.microsoft.com/it-it/sysinternals/bb897437 Thanks Zhang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2012 5:18am

Thanks Zhang unfortunately this does not answer my question. I guessed myself that open ports without a PID or image name are orphaned ports. TCPView just shows SystemProcess and PID 0. But why are some in grey and others in black? Additional, how can I fix the TCP connections graph having a max of 10? This is more about getting most out of Resource Monitor instead of using other tools. Cheers
September 1st, 2012 10:13pm

Hi Thomas, Entries without an Image or PID entry are in the TCP TIME_WAIT state. If you have an awful lot of these - as you can do on something like a web server, you can use a registry modification to reduce the time a port is held in a wait state. You'd only do this if it was impacting the service though. Grey entries are only shown briefly in Resource Monitor to indicate the TIME_WAIT state has ended and the port is fully released. In short, it's just a helpful breadcrumb that gives you a way to verify that yes, a port has finished the release process. You can see this behaviour yourself by running both Resource Monitor and netstat side-by-side (I was using netstat -ano 1 | findstr <PID or port> to keep it polling every second). Edited to add that you can't adjust the scale. Resource Montior does the scaling of the graph dynamically, so you will see 10 change to a higher number if connections increase, and come back down again as they drop off. Cheers, Lain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2012 10:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics