Resource Groups

I have had a great time playing around in Azure. Aftermath: under the preview Portal I see several RESOURCE GROUPs called:

Group-10

Group-8

Default-Sql-WesUS

Default-Storage-WestUS

I think those groups were provided by Azure as I don't recall creating them myself.  What sense can be made of the above list? Especially names such as Group-10 that could be located anywhere geographically!  (At least the groups with names WestUS appear to be in the United States).

TIA,

edm2

• Edited by edm2 15 hours 57 minutes ago
August 19th, 2015 11:23am

In order to support the Azure Resource Manager model, everything created in Azure is now backed by a Resource Group.  Resource Groups provide a way for you to group object together and manage them together based on your application lifecycle needs, as well as tag them and control security.  However, if you aren't actively creating things within Resource Groups with purpose, Azure will create them automatically on the backend with automatically generated names.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2015 11:34am

Thank you.  I'm located on the West Coast of the US.  Where is "Group-8"? located (Could well be a bad placement)

edm2

August 19th, 2015 3:05pm

Hi,

What do you mean by 'where is group8' ?

- if you want to ask which location you should use for your resources, then it depends on your location and the services provides by the Azure region. Usually, we have to choose the nearest Region to obtain best katency results.

You can check all the regions hereThe same link provides you with the services for each region.

You can make your latency test here and here

- if you want to ask how to get a Resource Group's location, you will just need to Go to the Previw Portal, Browse resources, Resource Groups and click on your RG name.

Or you can use Azure Powershell : Get-azureResourceGroup -name group-8

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2015 1:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics