Resolving MAC address to IP
Dear All, I have MAC address of machineA. I need to know the IP of the machineA which is in a network. How to resolve the IP? Anyone please help me. Mail me at jayakumar.rajendran@hotmail.com Reg, Jay
December 29th, 2011 4:09pm

If you need quick and dirty method, try "nslookup machineA" You could also look in your ARP cache (arp -a) and checking to see if the MAC is listed next to an IP.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 29th, 2011 4:15pm

I have machineA's MAC address only :( I tried arp -a but its not showing that MAC.Jay :)
December 29th, 2011 4:24pm

At this point I usually switch over to Cisco and look at the switches.
December 29th, 2011 4:29pm

Thanks a lot for your help friend. Is there any other way to find out from our local system itself?Jay :)
December 29th, 2011 4:32pm

If you are unable to log into a managed switch and look at the MAC tables...then if you are on the same local subnet as the target system, arp -a could be used if you knew which IP. For example, if you PING a certain IP on that segment (from within the same segment), the ARP protocol will get you the MAC of the target system. However, in this case, you have the MAC and not the IP. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is for you to PING all of the IPs on the local subnet, as silly as it may sound. However, PINGing all of the active IPs on the same segment will populate the arp cache. You can then issue the arp -a command and you should be able to match the MAC in question with the IP you are looking for. Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
December 29th, 2011 9:53pm

It also occurred to me after I just hit the submit button that if the target system in question is a DHCP enabled computer, AND you have access to the DHCP server, you should be able to find the MAC in the current leases, or in the DHCP logs. Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
December 29th, 2011 9:55pm

If you are unable to log into a managed switch and look at the MAC tables...then if you are on the same local subnet as the target system, arp -a could be used if you knew which IP. For example, if you PING a certain IP on that segment (from within the same segment), the ARP protocol will get you the MAC of the target system. However, in this case, you have the MAC and not the IP. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is for you to PING all of the IPs on the local subnet, as silly as it may sound. However, PINGing all of the active IPs on the same segment will populate the arp cache. You can then issue the arp -a command and you should be able to match the MAC in question with the IP you are looking for. Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
December 30th, 2011 5:46am

Thanks a lot for your information. The thing is i got an IP conflict error in a big network which contains more than 15 domains. I can get the IP corresponding to the MAC address with the help of network team but I'm trying to learn to find that IP from my own itself. I discussed with my seniors and they also don't have any idea to find it from server itself. Thanks again for your responses :)Jay :)
December 30th, 2011 7:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics