Reservation IP adresses on DHCP
Hello! I have two DHCP servers. Both of then are configured on one subnetwork, but have exclusions. E.g. 1-DHCP - Scope - 192.168.0.20-192.168.2.50. Exclusion range - 192.168.2.51-192.168.2.100 2 DHCP - Scope - 192.168.0.51-192.168.2.100. Exclusion range - 192.168.2.20-192.168.2.50 Task - to create the IP reservation for one PC. How many addresses could I reserve - one with adding it on the both DHCP servers (in spite of the different DHCP scopes) or two separate addresses with adding it on the different DHCP servers? Thanks!
November 8th, 2010 6:59am

Hello, exclusions are used if the scope also spans the exclusion range, in your case this is not necessary as in the first is from 20-50 and 51-100 is not included and on the other one the same. For the reservation make sure ot have only one for the active as you run into trouble and don't know which one will be used if each server has a reservation for one computer.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2010 7:18am

Sorry, I am mistaken, the both of DHCP scopes equal 192.168.0.20-192.168.2.100. The different between them is only exclusion range.
November 8th, 2010 7:57am

Hi Olegrik, Thanks for posting here. Which windows server version running on your DHCP server ? If you are using window server 2003 ,2003 r2, 2008, please take look the explication in the article below: Reservations in Split Scopes http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2007/10/26/reservations-in-split-scopes.aspx If you are using widows server 2008 R2 , we suggest to set reservations and options on first DHCP server and perform split scope wizard to sync settings with secondary servers: How to configure split-scope using wizard http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/01/22/how-to-configure-split-scope-using-wizard.aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 9th, 2010 1:30am

Thanks a lot! I wiil be decide how to resolve my issue.
November 10th, 2010 4:25am

I have successfully configured the split scope through http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/01/22/how-to-configure-split-scope-using-wizard.aspx including deleting unnecessary exclusion on additional DHCP server. According to the quota "Now some times we want that few network devices like Printers,fax m/c should always get constant IP address, this problem can be solved by two ways: 1)-We can configure the same reservation on these boxes, this will make sure that these machine are getting reserved IP address only but it can be assigned by any of the server(A or B)" must I reserve the same IP address on the both DHCP servers? No matter which DHCP server will be serve the IP addresses. Sorry for the stupid question.
November 12th, 2010 5:37am

Hi Olegrik, Thanks for update. I think set reservation on both servers is more reliable, and this could be easily done by script, for more information please refer to the “Synchronizing reservations on 2 DHCP servers on specific subnets.” in the link below: http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2006/09/19/457383.aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 16th, 2010 3:55am

Thank you very much, Tiger Li!
November 17th, 2010 12:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics