Requested conversion is not supported.

This error appeared after I added 50 columns to a table, all of which are float(53), i.e. 8 byte float. SSIS automtically cast them as DT_R8 which sounds correct.

I can preview the OLEDB data source in BIDS but when I run the package (again in BIDS), I get the error. I assume that the precision of the fields in the SQL table definition is higher than DT_R8 in SSIS but it is not clear to me what the precision needs to be to match DT_R8. I don't need high precision, it's just the default from when I created the table.

Any thoughts as to why I am getting this

July 30th, 2013 8:45am

Which Data Flow component are you using?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2013 8:52am

Which Data Flow component are you

July 30th, 2013 9:08am

Is there a specific reason why you chose an approximate number -  i.e., a float - instead of a decimal?

If you need to use an approximate number, have you considered using a real data type instead?

Also hat version of SQL Server and SSIS are you using. I seem to remember that you could not use a DATETIME2 data type in SSIS 2008R2 despite the fact it is a SQL Server 2008R2 data type. 

July 30th, 2013 9:16am

Is there a specific reason why you chose an approximate number -  i.e., a float - instead of a decimal?

If you need to use an approximate number, have you considered using a real data type instead?

Also hat version of SQL Server and SSIS are you using. I seem to remember that you could not use a DATETIME2 data type in SSIS 2008R2 despite the fact it is a SQL Server 2008R2 data type.

July 30th, 2013 9:32am

SSIS basically guesses the data types and the lengths of the data types. I do not trust these guesses very much anymore.

I think this down to a loss in precision between the two data types.

July 30th, 2013 10:00am

SSIS basically guesses the data types and the lengths of the data types. I do not trust these guesses very much anymore.

I think this down to a loss in precision between the two data

July 30th, 2013 10:54am

This is one of the 'beauties' of SSIS (excuse the irony). Something that has been part of SSIS since the CTP releases of SSIS 2005, something that has improved over time but it is not quite there yet.

Now, having said this. If you changed the data types in your source table, you should be able to to use the advance editor to refresh the metadata and SSIS should change the DT_R8 data types to DT_R4 data types.

Of course, SSIS is stubborn and may decided that it does not want to change the data types. I prefer to actually change the data types myself on the advanced editor.

July 31st, 2013 4:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics