Reporting Services Preview Failure

I am migrating RS reports from SQL 2008 to SQL 2012.  As a first step I created a new solution in Visual Studio 2012 (Install includes VS 2012 Premium 32 bit, VS 2012 Update 2, SSDT-BI for VS 2012, SSDT-BI for VS 2012 Update and BIDS). 

After creating the new solution I added existing rds and rdl files from my TFS production branch.  When I open a report in the VS designer it opens without a problem.  When I click on the preview tab the initial rendering of the report works fine.  After I enter the parameters (a beginning and ending date) and click the view report button I get the following error message:

"An error occurred during local report processing.  An error has occurred during report processing."

Consequently I'm unable to preview the report.  If I build the report and deploy the report I get no error messages.  If I run the report on the reporting services server it runs and renders the results without a problem.  I'm just unable to render the results within the VS Preview panel.

Given how uninformative the error message is does anyone have an idea what I should investigate next to track down the problem?

May 31st, 2013 4:14pm

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Based on this case relate to SQL server reporting service, I move it to there. You can get better support there.

Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2013 6:40am

Hi Daeule,

Since the report runs properly after being deployed to the report server, there are no problems with the report definitions. To check whether the issue is caused by the SSDT which may not be upgraded properly, please try the following suggestions:

1. Click Start -> Visual Studio 2012 -> Visual Studio tools -> Visual Studio Command Prompt to start the command line tool.

2. Run the command to see whether the issue occurs in Visual Studio Safe Mode:
    devenv /safemode

3. If it can run properly, please run the following command lines and run the Visual studio again:
    devenv /resetSettings

If the issue persists, you can uninstall the SSDT installed by SQL Server (not Visual Studio), and then install the SSDT from the SQL Server 2012 installation media, and Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012.

If there are any error details displayed in the SSDT, please post them for further analysis.

Regards,
Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

June 3rd, 2013 9:05am

Hi Mike,

Following your instructions I openned the solution.  In paranthesis following each project name within the solution it said "Incompatible."  When I attempted to expand the project node it said "The application is not installed."  Since it appears I missed something in the installation of my various SQL Server 2012 and VS 2012 installments I removed all of the components for each and reinstalled the various components in the following order:

- SQL Server Developer with SP1

- SQL Server 2012 Data Tools

- Visual Studio 2012 Premium (32 bit)

- Visual Studio 2012 Update #2

- SSDT - BI for Visual Studio 2012

- SSDT - BI for Visual Studio 2012 Update

- BIDS

However, this did not solve the problem.  The behavior of the project is exactly as it was before.  In Design View I can go to the Preview tab and render the report in Visual Studio to enter the parameters, but once the parameters are entered and I click View Report I get the same error message: "An error occurred during local report processing.  An error has occurred during report processing."

When entering VS using safe mode I again have the same result.  The Project Names are followed by "incompatible" in parenthesis and when attempting to open the project it says "The application is not installed." 

Clearly I'm missing something, but have no idea what, or how to proceed with diagnosing the problem from here.  Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

June 4th, 2013 3:40pm

Hi David,

Thank you for your posting.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,
Mike Yin

June 7th, 2013 8:52am

Hi Mike,

I solved the problem by deleting and recreating the Shared Data Sources.  I had previously checked the data sources and they all appeared correct.  Some of the other reports using the same data sources worked without a problem and so I concluded they were not the problem.  However, having exhausted most other options that came to mind, I deleted and recreated them.  The reports that were previously failing to render in Preview mode are now rendering correctly. 

I added the Data Sources and the RDLs separately to the solution, so I don't know if that was a contributing factor to the problem or not.  Obviously it would have been very helpful if the error message was able to indicate the problem was a Data Source problem.  

Thanks for your follow up.

David

June 10th, 2013 4:13pm

Hi David,

Glad to hear that you have resolved the issue by yourself. Thank you for the valuable feedback. I believe other community members who face with the same issue will benefit from your sharing.

Regards,
Mike Yin

June 12th, 2013 12:13pm

Hi,

I also had the same issue where the reports would error on rendering during the preview mode.  In my case I found that the SQL user account used for the credentials in the Shared Datasource was dropped.  I had to reenter the account information for the credentials and it worked.

August 22nd, 2013 8:27pm

Thanks fot the post.

I too had the same problem on my brand new computer using VS2013 to edit a SSRS 2008R2 report.

Works fine on my other computer with BIDS 2008R2

From the new Windows 8.1 with S2013 I was able to convert the solution to VS2013 (keeping it as a SSRS2008R2 target) I I was able to create a brand new report up to the point I added queries to the parameters. After this point the report did not run.

I then loaded the report in BIDS 2008R2 and it work fine.

I deleted and recreated the 2 datasources and now it runs in VS2013 as well.

Thank you

July 1st, 2014 4:05pm

SOLVED!

None of the above fixed my issue, but I did figure out it was due to blank credentials using SQL Server Authentication and wanted to share!

1. Double click (Open) the shared data source 

2. Click edit

3. Either provide good SQL creds, or choose Windows Authentication.

Repeat for each data source having the problem.

DONE!

• Edited by DonSchaefer1 Thursday, September 04, 2014 8:47 PM
September 4th, 2014 8:46pm

I apologize for replying to an old thread. But, I had the same problem with SSDT for Visual Studio 2013 on Windows 8. The same step of deleting the shared data source and recreating it solved it. Thank you!!!
November 6th, 2014 4:27pm

Once I also faced the same error. The worst thing is that error doesn't tell anything about the cause of problem. What I did was edited the data source and reconfigured it by supplying the username, password, saved the password and tested the connection. Then when I previewed the problematic report, preview displayed successfully.
September 2nd, 2015 12:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics