Report Viewer require a license for the SQL Server 2008?
Hi,

Good day to you.

I am trying to purchase a virtual machine A2, together with Operating System, Windows Server 2008 R2, 

I also need the followings,
1. SQL Server 2008 R2 Express
2. IIS version 7
3. ASP.Net version .NetFramework 3.5
4. .NetFramework 4.5
5. Report Viewer

May I ask if Report Viewer require a license for the SQL Server 2008?
Do I need to pay for it? I thought SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is free to download?
Will the paid version of SQL Server be the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express?

Thanks for your kind attention.
May 28th, 2015 6:12am

The usage of SQL Server Express is free, also if you use "SQL Server Express with Advanced Services" = incl. Reporting Server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2015 6:30am

Thanks for replying. Do you mean for "SQL Server Express with Advanced Services", I do not need to install Report Viewer? 

May 28th, 2015 9:18pm

Please refer : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365248%28v=sql.105%29.aspx
May 28th, 2015 10:13pm

Hi Thom9189,

Whats the meaning of Report Viewer? If it means Reporting Services, we can just select Reporting Services features in the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express installation to install it. Please note that the Reporting Services is included in SQL Server Express with Advanced Services, so we should install SQL Server Express with Advanced Services edition, rather than Express with Tools or Express edition. Since the SQL Server Express with Advanced Services is free, so we neednt pay for it.

If it means Report Viewer control, we should install Reporting Services as prerequisite as said above, then separately install Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 Redistributable Package or install Visual Studio which contains this control.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

May 28th, 2015 10:36pm

I do not need to install Report Viewer? 

Hello,

The ReportViewer is a WinForms/WebForms control for the frontend to display reports, so you have to install it on every Client; you can download it here: Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package

SSRS is the backend, where the reports are hosted and rendered on client request, e.g. reguested by the ReportViewer control from the client.

May 29th, 2015 2:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics