Report Builder 3.0 can't deploy reports to SQL Express 2014

I deployed a report to an SQL 2014 report server which worked. Then I tried to deploy the same report to an SQL Express 2014 report server but it didn't work. It gave me this error message: The feature: "Report part gallery" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.

I tried googling it and this link clearly says that report part gallery is not part of SQL Server 2008 R2. I haven't found any comparison on any newer version of SQL server.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281020(v=sql.105).aspx

When googling "report part gallery" I find that report part gallery is a feature in Report Builder 3.0 that allows a user to create and use reports and reuse them in other reports.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ee636148.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

But still my question is unanswered. Can I deploy reports with Report Builder 3.0 to SQL Express 2014 report server? If so, please help. If not please give me some documentation of it.

If Report Builder 3.0 can't deploy reports to SQL Express 2014 report server, are there any alternatives to a standard or higher edition of SQL 2014 report server (not express)?

May 21st, 2015 7:45am

Hi Rebam,

According to you description, you cannot deploy the report to the SQL 2014 Express report server. Right?

In SQL Server 2014 Express Edition, Reporting Services Features and Business Intelligence Clients (like Report builder) are not supported, so you cannot deploy the report to SQL 2014 Express report server. If you want to use the full functions of Reporting Services, please design the report in SQL Server Enterprise Edition.  Please refer to the link: Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2014

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Shrek Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2015 7:54am

Hi and thank you for your answer.

Correct, I can't deploy the report and I receive the error in italic in the original thread post.

I'm using SQL Express 2014 with Advanced Services. According to your link this version of SQL Express support several Reporting Services features, which to me seems to be the most vital/fundamental ones. So from what I can see (correct me if I'm wrong), I should be able to build reports and deploy them to a SQL Express 2014 with Advanced Services server. Is it just so that I can't use Report Builder 3.0 but I can use SQL Server Data Tools for it?

Thanks for your help!

May 22nd, 2015 10:39am

Hi Rebam1,

SQL Express 2014 with Advanced Service can support SQL Server Data Tools and report server.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Shrek Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2015 9:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics