Replica - potential corruption issue

Hi everyone

We're using HV's replica feature extensively. We regularly test the VM failover and the replica VMs start up fine and we can log in.

However, more recently, we decided to do a more extensive comparison of the VMs.

So we shut down 6 VMs on the primary site, waited for the remaining changes to replicate to the DR site and then did an MD5 checksum (using FCIV) on the VHDX files on the primary and failover sites. The results were a bit concerning - 4 out of the 6 VMs were identical, but the other two each had VHDX files which were different.

Unfortunately we did not have enough time to compare the contents of files within the VHDX files to see which ones were in fact different.

Any ideas why some of our VMs appear to be out of sync? Could this be a bug with the replica feature? 

Thanks

A

• Edited by Ascendo 11 hours 59 minutes ago
September 1st, 2015 3:07pm

Hi Ascendo,

I made several tests. And the MD5 checksum is different all the time. But the files are the same.

I suppose it is normal and there is no need to worry about it.

As far as I know, Hyper-V replica would replicate all the changes.

Best Regards,

Leo

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 12:15am

Thanks Leo. Do you mean the VHDX files are the same, or the files inside the VHDX are the same?
September 2nd, 2015 1:33am

Hi Ascendo,

I modify the files in primary VM. Shut down. Then perform replica.

The MD5 checksum is different.

When I start the replica VM. The files are the same as primary VM. The changes are replicated successfully.

Best Regards,

Leo

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 1:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics