Repair or Reinstall Broken 32-bit DirectShow (and possibly other components) On Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Standard)
I am general computer geek and TechNet subscriber. My Windows Server 2008 R2 is a multi-role server. It does Active Directory (for a Windows domain, yes - at home - to 'keep up' with the tech mostly), DHCP, DNS, DFS, FTP, IIS, WDS and so forth. I also use it to batch transcode video files. Recently, something has caused the 32-bit side of DirectShow to completely break. It's broken to the degree that dxdiag will crash at "Stage 1". Oddly, dxdiag in 64-bit mode will work fine and the 64-bit side of DirectShow also seems to work fine. I've also noticed some other Windows components aren't working as they should, possibly related. Symptom List: 32-bit DirectShow does not work. (Filters will not appear using GraphEdt).32-bit DxDiag crashes at "Stage 1" of examining DirectShowWindows Update does not launch from Start Menu or System Tray (Control Panel works fine)Right clicking and selecting properties on COMPUTER (name) in Start Menu list does not work. (Selecting System from Control Panel works fine)Right clicking and selecting properties on NETWORK in Start Menu list does not work. Right clicking on network system tray icon and selecting Open Network & Sharing Center does not work. (Again, selecting it from control panel works fine)There may be similar issues with other functions but I haven't run into them yet. Things I Have Tried: Ran Direct X Setup (no change)Ran a DirectShow repair tool (no change)Ran "sfc /scannow" (no change) Conclusions: As I've poked around, I am now pretty sure some system component is failing and all of this is a symptom of that but I do not have a clear understanding on how DirectShow works at that level so I'm at a loss as to what component technology may be failing. At this point I'm thinking something in COM+ or DCOM. What I'm Looking For: Suggestions on What To Look At NextSuggestions on How to Fix ItSuggestions on Diagnostic Tools
June 24th, 2012 9:20pm

Update: Did some more testing and logging and found that the Windows Update start menu item invokes "wuapp.exe startmenu". I tried that manually with Windows Update logging higher and found this: 2012-06-24 18:57:31:855 8040 1d84 CltUI FATAL: Failed to open Microsoft.WindowsUpdate page "<home>", hr=80004002 Oddly some other DCOM/COM components are working properly so it must be some sub-component somewhere.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2012 10:05pm

Hi, I found a related KB that describes Windows update issue with error code 0x80004002. That problem occurs when the Windows Update agent file, Wups2.dll, is registered incorrectly. When the registry files that correspond to the Wups2.dll file are missing, update installations are unsuccessful. The solution to fix that issue is register all Windows update related .dll file. Also according to the issue symptoms you mentioned, I think your issue is related to incorrect or missing .dll file. Try below command to register all .dll file and check the result: for %1 in (%windir%\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32.exe /s %1 Note: launch CMD prompt with elevated permission then copy the command to CMD prompt and run it. If this cant fix your issue, check available system backup and restore your system to healthy system point. For more information please refer to following MS articles: Error message when you try to install updates by using the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80004002" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956708 INFO: How Regsvr32.exe Registers and Unregisters COM DLLs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/207132 Hope this helps! TechNet Subscriber Support If you areTechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here. Lawrence TechNet Community Support
June 25th, 2012 11:34pm

Well it was a nice shot (re-registering all the COM components). I think something bad somewhere has happened to COM... I added NETWORK_SERVICE to DCOM's permissions (globally) for Launch & Activate and Windows Media Foundation now works. 32-bit DirectShow, launching most system things from Start Menu are still broken. (Windows Update does work, by the way, if I launch it from control panel.)
June 25th, 2012 11:44pm

Hi, it is suggested to run a CheckSRU at first Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;947821 After that, you can try to check if there are some corrupt file failed to replaced in %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log, if so, try to replace them manually. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 27th, 2012 11:23pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem? If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help. Lawrence TechNet Community Support
July 6th, 2012 1:49am

Absolutely no change, unfortunately. I want to stress that Windows Update is working as long as I activate it from the control panel. It is a bit hard to tell exactly what components are broken, however. Not Working: Right-click "My Computer" on Desktop and select Properties.Right-click "My Computer" on Start Menu and select Properties.Right-click "Network" on Start Menu and select Properties.Right-click "Network" icon in Tray and select "Open Network and Sharing Center".Start Menu "Windows Update" shortcut (wuapp.exe startmenu)Internet Explorer (32-bit) does not appear to launch at all. All DirectShow Filters (32-bit) Working Exceptions To Above List: Selecting "System" in control panelSelecting "Network and Sharing Center" in control panelSelecting "Windows Update" in control panelInternet Explorer (64-bit)FirefoxDirectShow Filters (64-bit)Windows Media FoundationDXDA
July 6th, 2012 3:10am

i think we still can try to repair this system via: 1. go to repair mode with the installation DVD. 2. try to perform In-place upgrade: How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099 Some system file corruption may cause unexpected issue, above steps can at least all the system file is correct. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 11th, 2012 3:37am

i think we still can try to repair this system via: 1. go to repair mode with the installation DVD. 2. try to perform In-place upgrade: How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099 Some system file corruption may cause unexpected issue, above steps can at least all the system file is correct. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 11th, 2012 3:37am

just following up to check if you have any updates.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 18th, 2012 11:29pm

No new updates but I haven't been able to work on it much. The in-place upgrade sounds like it should do the trick if a little harrowing.
July 18th, 2012 11:48pm

Found more things that no longer work: 1. Cannot connect to any Windows 7 VM using the Hyper-V console (RDP to the VM etc are fine). Even from a machine with the Hyper-V management interface installed. Oddly, my I can connect to the console of Ubuntu VM just fine. 2. The SysLogD (Solarwinds/Kiwi Soft free edition) I've been running (don't really need it) no longer starts. No errors, just won't start. Starting to think I'll just limp along until I can afford that new server box and just start over. This seems more messed up than I originally thought.
July 23rd, 2012 1:48pm

I ran into some more COM related issues today* and I've decided that I'm just going to wipe the machine as soon as I can. Something deep has gone screwy and I think it's going to be safer in the long run just to "purify with fire" at this point. I'd love to know what caused this issue but I don't think I'm going to be able to find out. (I don't think it's so much that things are breaking down on a continual basis but a matter of discovery and, after reboots, stuff that was just kind of still running doesn't re-start and so on.) I ordered a new server today. I had been already planning on replacing the machine as it's overt 3 years old and I am leaning towards using Hyper-V more and more and the new server is better spec'd for that but this has motivated me to go ahead. The current machine is an AD controller (and DNS, DHCP, IIS, WDS, and the rest of the alphabet) so once the new machine is up and running and all the roles are transferred it's format (and re-purpose) time. Thanks for the suggestions Kevin and Lawrence! * hMailServer could not connect to it's database, MSSQLCE, after a reboot. I've moved hMailServer over to a spare machine and it's working fine there for the time being.
July 24th, 2012 4:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics