Repair Windows 2008 R2 in VM

Hi All,

we have one hyper v server and inside being installed with 2 VM, VM A and VM B. VM A has issue with the IIS, hence we would like to do the windows 2008 R2 repair. May I know what is the correct procedure to perform windows repair?

Thanks.

June 28th, 2015 10:19pm

Hiya,

Without knowing anything about your issue and not even answering your question, what is the issue with IIS that requires your to run a repair of the server?

Running repair, is like hitting the "reset to factory defaults" - Which might not have the desired effect and rarely with any reliable rollback options.

Oh yeah: Repair is inserting the media and click install. When the screen loads, you will get the option to repair existing installation.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2015 3:35am

Hiya,

Without knowing anything about your issue and not even answering your question, what is the issue with IIS that requires your to run a repair of the server?

Running repair, is like hitting the "reset to factory defaults" - Which might not have the desired effect and rarely with any reliable rollback options.

Oh yeah: Repair is inserting the media and click install. When the screen loads, you will get the option to repair existing installation.

Hi There,

I don't have the OS image backup. that's the issue. I did the uninstallation of IIS and the reinstall back. after rebooting, it said "failure configuring windows features reverting changes. do not turn off your computer. so, it come back the previous state again. I guess there are major issue with the windows. Is there anyway to do repair of Windows 2008 R2 OS without windows image created previously?

Thanks.

June 29th, 2015 4:12am

Hiya.,

1: There should be an error indication on the feature installation failure it a referenced log file. Maybe that is easier to solve?

2: You don't need an O/S image backup, you just need the Windows Server 2008 R2 O/S iso file.

June 29th, 2015 5:43am

Hiya.,

1: There should be an error indication on the feature installation failure it a referenced log file. Maybe that is easier to solve?

2: You don't need an O/S image backup, you just need the Windows Server 2008 R2 O/S iso file.

Hi Jesper,

I already attach the ISO file to my DVD. how am I going to perform OS repair? If I click on "Repair your computer", it will then prompt for system image recovery. how to select to repair from the iso file that I inserted?

Thanks

June 29th, 2015 6:00am

Basically this should do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

I'm spinning up an environment 2008 R2 Sp1 to verify.

June 29th, 2015 6:01am

Hiya,

I ran it using the referenced instructions, which seems to have reinstalled files. I will have originally saved files on C:\ and C:\Temp. I'd say the description and caveats listed in the article are relevant for you.

June 29th, 2015 7:55am

Hiya,

I ran it using the referenced instructions, which seems to have reinstalled files. I will have originally saved files on C:\ and C:\Temp. I'd say the description and caveats listed in the article are relevant for you.

Hi There,

the upgrade is fail with the error that some of the files are missing and then roll back. i have followed the instructions on the articles. 

Is there any way of performing the windows repair without doing the upgrade?

Thanks

June 29th, 2015 9:31am

Hi Henry,

Please try to following this article regarding in-place upgrade :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

June 30th, 2015 2:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics