Renaming User Accounts using DSMOD command

Hi,

The command DSMOD provides facility to change various attributes of a user account. However, I want to change a particular section of user account, which I am not able to do using DSMOD. I have attached the screenshots, where I have circled the value that I want to modify.

Request support as I need to modify this value in around 1000+ users.

Thanks,

Amit Jogi

• Edited by Amit Jogi Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:05 AM The values circled in screenshot that I removed does not required any modification
August 25th, 2015 5:58am

Amit, Mary

The name you see in the AD snap-in is the relative distinguished name (RDN) of the object which is part of the distinguished name (DN). So to change it, you actually need to move the object and then specify a new RDN.

Use dsmove.

dsquery user -samid bjones | dsmove -newname "Bob Jones"
zxx
  • Edited by zxxzxx 10 hours 48 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 4:28pm

Hi,

In addition to the information from the previous posts, the DSMOVE command moves or renames an object in the Active Directory.

For example, to rename an AD user account from John to Jean use the below command,
dsmove "cn=John,ou=TestOU,dc=Testdomain,dc=com" -newname "
August 26th, 2015 5:46pm

Hi Gopi,

Thanks for your reply.

The method given by you works perfectly fine. It has meet my requirements. Thanks a lot.

Using DSMOVE command for renaming an account's Full Name is something which generally no one would focus.

Thanks once again.

With regards,

Amit Jogi

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 11:47pm

Hi Amit,

I am happy to hear that the solution worke
August 27th, 2015 2:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics