Renamed domain controller, now cannot log in
Hello, I have been running Windows Server 2008 (not R2), and wanted to rename the computer from SERVER01 to SERVER02. A friend told me to do it by right-clicking my computer, clicking properties, clicking change settings, clicking change, renaming it, then rebooting. I now realize that this is not the best/correct way to do this, but it is too late. I am now unable to log in using any accounts, including the Administrator account; I keep getting "the username or password is incorrect". This was the only computer/domain controller I had (I am using it to study for MCTS exam), so there was no replication of active directory objects anywhere else. Please let me know how I can be able to log on again, or at least transfer all of these objects to a different domain controller/computer. I exported all objects via ldifde (Idifde -f everything.ldf) and also csvde (csvde -f everything.csv) before renaming, but failed to import them onto a new system. I can still access the files on this partition by using Windows 7 from a different partition. I already tried the method involving using the installation cd and the utilman.exe utility, but it did not work. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
May 16th, 2012 5:23pm

In active directpory restore mode you will be able to boot and login (press f8 when you boot) I just hope you remember the password you put there when you did the dcpromoMCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2012 8:38pm

Ok, will doing this delete any of the objects created in active directory? (users, groups, computers, groups, etc)
May 17th, 2012 12:14am

I tried following your instructions, now when I try to log on with my administrator account I get the following error: "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request". I also didn't get any kind of prompt or message when pressing f8 when booting, not sure if it was supposed to do anything.
May 17th, 2012 12:50am

You hsould see something like that at the boot if the F8 was hit at the good time: That allow you to enter the OS without the AD's role at on. So it will authentificate you against the restore password you setup when you dcpromo the server. That will allow you to atleast run a a system state backup, and to rename the DC to the original's name if you want to try to login again on it with the original's name. (Iam not sure it would work, but it worth the try) MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 17th, 2012 8:58pm

Thanks for the reply. That screen finally appeared and I was able to log in using Directory services restore mode. However, I am unable to view any of the objects I previously had in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, none of them are there anymore. It appears that this machine is not a domain controller anymore. Is there any way to transfer those objects (users, groups, computers, etc with their permissions, memberships, control access rights, etc) that were there to another machine? Before all of this happened, I exported all the objects using LDIFDE and CSVDE; but it failed to import into another machine when I tried to import it. When I try to export those objects now, it still exports a file successfully, but it fails when I try to import it to another machine. I guess the successful export means that these objects are still there somewhere. Any idea on how to add them to another machine, or how to gain them back on this one?
May 17th, 2012 9:16pm

In that mode your DC does not read the AD database, so it does act like no AD were on it. That will permit you like in exemple to rename the DC correctly; SERVER02 to SERVER01. It will allow you to use the backup role on your DC to make a backup too. Honestly, I never used LDIFDE and CSVDE to make a backup so I can't direct you on how to restore from the result of that. Sorry. But renaming the DC could help you regain access to it when you will restart it in normal's mode.MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 17th, 2012 9:48pm

When I try to rename it from SERVER02 to SERVER01 in that mode, I get a message stating "The following error occurred attempting to rename the computer to "SERVER01": The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Any idea on how to overcome this problem?
May 17th, 2012 10:54pm

No, only thing you can make now is a systemstate backup, and restore it, but Iam not sure if it would bring back the problem... the systemstate will bring back the new computer name again. So sorry, can't help further. For next time, please read; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782761(v=ws.10).aspx or Rename Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers to do it correctly. MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 17th, 2012 11:07pm

No, only thing you can make now is a systemstate backup, and restore it, but Iam not sure if it would bring back the problem... the systemstate will bring back the new computer name again. So sorry, can't help further. For next time, please read; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782761(v=ws.10).aspx or Rename Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers to do it correctly. MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 17th, 2012 11:09pm

Maybe im beign silly, but, have you tried to login in local (SERVER02\admin) and tried to rename it back to SERVER01?
May 18th, 2012 4:17am

Yes I have, now whenever I try to log in using any mode (normal, safe, last known good config, etc) I get a blue screen that says: "STOP: c00002e3 Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: The security ID structure is invalid. Error status: 0xc0000078. Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into safe mode. check the event log for more detailed information". Is there a way to get the object information out of the NTDS.dit file (or any other file on there)? I can still access the Windows Server 2008 partition from my Windows 7 partition.
May 19th, 2012 11:53pm

Restoring a systemstate backup before renaming the DC would be your best path. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727048.aspx The file itselft got your renamed DC in it IMO, so you will replicate that error if you import it. From there from my knowledge if you dont have a backup before the renaming you are in bad shape for your AD As I seen it's for labbing, check those exemples to re-import the .csv you did earlier; http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/Logon_CSVDE_Bulk.htm Just bear in mind that the re-import will re-create all user with different SID, but you have to edit the file if your domain name is not the same on the other DC. MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 20th, 2012 12:19am

Restoring a systemstate backup before renaming the DC would be your best path. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727048.aspx The file itselft got your renamed DC in it IMO, so you will replicate that error if you import it. From there from my knowledge if you dont have a backup before the renaming you are in bad shape for your AD As I seen it's for labbing, check those exemples to re-import the .csv you did earlier; http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/Logon_CSVDE_Bulk.htm Just bear in mind that the re-import will re-create all user with different SID, but you have to edit the file if your domain name is not the same on the other DC. MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 20th, 2012 12:21am

Maybe im beign silly, but, have you tried to login in local (SERVER02\admin) and tried to rename it back to SERVER01? This won't work, because the SAM on a DC is disabled when it's promoted. That means local logins are not allowed any more. I agree with Yagmoth555, you really are up a creek on this one. If the domain is important enough, and downtime is a really bad thing, opening a ticket with MSFT may be your best option.
May 21st, 2012 12:40pm

I see. Well, thank you everybody for all the help, I really appreciate it!
May 24th, 2012 4:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics