Removing a hard drive from a RAID 5 array
Hello, I have a Dell server running Server 2008 R1. The server came installed with three 146GB hot-swapable hard drives. I have added two additional 146GB drives. I used Dell OpenManage Server Administrator to add the additional hard drives to the array. It ran for a while but now one of the hard drives is flashing a slow yellow light and creating a fatal error. If I remove the drive the problem goes away but the server still shows the disk as part of the array and the storage being 544.5GB (which is correct with a RAID 5). I do not have a spare drive so I want to remove the drive from the array until I can get another hard drive. Does anybody know how to remove the disk from the array? Any help would be appreciated. Dan
June 21st, 2010 8:55pm

Hello, this belongs to a Dell forum, not to Microsoft, as you use the Dell software to configure the array. But replacing the harddisk is the only option. AFAIK you can't remove a disk without rebuilding the existing RAID 5. Unfortunal the disk perfomance decrease until a new disk is inserted. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 21st, 2010 9:29pm

You can find Dell support from this page: http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspxShaon Shan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
June 22nd, 2010 9:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics