Removing a SBS 2000 server from the network (safely)
Hi there, I have a network with a Microsoft SBS 2000 server, Windows 2003 Server and 2008 R2 servers. Removing SBS 2000 has to happen so we can move the functional level of the domain higher to migrate from Exchange 2003 to 2010. I am having real issues getting SBS 2000 off the network, without screwing up AD. While I had the server running, I tried to transfer the roles. This resulted in AD being corrupt some how... My final step was to power down the SBS server and manually (forcefully) take the roles on the new 2008 R2 server. Would this work or is there an easier way? Thanks
January 30th, 2011 3:53pm

Hello, a SBS server MUST have the FSMO roles, that is one of it's limitations. If they are transferred to another DC the SBS server will shutdown. To get the best help please use the SBS forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/threads There are the SBS experts and they will guide you perfect to the removal of the SBS DC.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 30th, 2011 4:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics