Removing Certificate Services while trying to demote a Domain Controller.
I have a network that I manage that is gradually moving from Server 2003 to Server 2008. This network currently has three domain controllers. The first domain controller is running Server 2003, the other two servers are running Server 2008. The domain controller running Server 2003 was the first domain controller in this network. Once the migration to Server 2008 started the first Server 2008 domain controller was installed, recently a second 2008 DC was installed. Now I am trying to demote the 2003 DC so I can reallocate the server in another area. When i run dcpromo.exe on the 2003 DC it gives me the error "Before you can install or remove Active Directory, you must remove Certificate Services." Can I move the Certificate Services from a Server 2003 x32 DC to a Server 2008 x64 DC? Do I even need to move the Certificate Services? Can I just uninstall the Certificate Services? I have a third-party SSL installed on the network's Exchange 2007 server for webmail access. Does the Certificate Services have anything to do with this type of certificate at all? Do I need to install Certificate Services on one of my Server 2008 DCs? Thanks!
January 23rd, 2010 12:42am

Hi, >>> Can I move the Certificate Services from a Server 2003 x32 DC to a Server 2008 x64 DC? Yes. You can refer to the following article to move the CA: Performing the Upgrade or Migration http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742388(WS.10).aspx >>> Do I even need to move the Certificate Services? Can I just uninstall the Certificate Services? I have a third-party SSL installed on the network's Exchange 2007 server for webmail access. Does the Certificate Services have anything to do with this type of certificate at all? Do I need to install Certificate Services on one of my Server 2008 DCs? If AD CS is not required in the environment, you can simply uninstall the service. For more information, please refer to the following article: How to decommission a Windows enterprise certification authority and how to remove all related objects from Windows Server 2003 and from Windows Server 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889250 Joson Zhou TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 25th, 2010 5:54am

Hi,How's everything going? We've not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check if the information is helpful. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesistate to respond back.Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
February 2nd, 2010 10:18am

Hi, Is it possible to do this during work hours? Kind Regards Jeroen Vercoulen
March 24th, 2010 12:41pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was able to uninstall the service then ran dcpromo.exe successfully.
April 20th, 2010 9:32pm

hello all, I have this identical issue; only another problem on top (window product activation). and I don't have any spare serial keys around. I can however access a command line with full control over the 2003DC. I want to remote (DCpromo with arguments) but it complains that I have to uninstall certificate services first. What are the command line+arguments for un-installing the certificate services on a Server 2003 Enterprise x64? NB: FMSO roles already moved, Certificate roles Transferred (1 month ago - so plenty of time for things to settle down). Even had this DC shutdown for 2 weeks, no issues.
January 7th, 2011 6:23am

Hello, for uninstalling the CA you have to do some more steps also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889250 So just unistalling CA isn't possible that way. Maybe this is the option to use: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555151Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 7th, 2011 6:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics