Remotely logged onto administrator account (Server 2012 R2), checked off "user must change password at next logon", now locked out of administrator account..

Hello, hope I can get some much needed help please.

I was asked to change the administrator password on our small windows server R8 - which I've done in the past (we change it every so often).

However, normally when I change it I'm there locally on the computer. This time I am working from a different city, so I logged into the server remotely (as administrator) and checked off "user must change password at next login, password expires" for the administrator account.

After I logged off (remotely), I tried to log back in and now it just says password invalid. It does not ask me to put a new password or anything like that, and the old password no longer works.

I'm back at the office tomorrow, is there a way to fix this? If I go physically to the computer tomorrow, will I be able to change the password?

We cannot get passed the blue login screen at this point to get into the admin account.

Appreciate any help or advice!

Thanks.

September 2nd, 2015 2:10pm

are you using rdp?, it will not always let user in if password needs to be changed, try webmail or rdweb site if you have one they will let you change if that box is checked.

if you remote into a site and are running rds typically you can log using https://remoteserver/rdweb if you have exchange you should be able to change if you log into email with a browser.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 2:20pm

Hi Darren, thanks for the prompt reply. I tried using the rdweb by using your link + our server ip, but it does not connect - the feature may be shut off. I'm not worried about changing the password now, my concern is when I arrive back to the office tomorrow, will we be permanently locked out of the administrator account? Is there anything I can do, so I can fix it first thing in the morning. Thanks!
September 2nd, 2015 2:26pm

Keyboard layout on your computer ? I would try with the visual keyboard in worst case.

else that tip work; http://vthoughtsofit.blogspot.ca/2013/03/reset-your-domain-administrator.html#.VekBTNHbLIU, I just don't remember if you need to have by hand your dsrm password to be able to make the tip.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 10:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics