Remote routing of a VPNd network
Hello, I have two networks, each one having its own windows server, and the two servers are interconnected through server to server VPN, which works great ! I would like to have my users of network B to use the server of network A as a router for some internet IP adresses. I programmed a route in server B, but server A refuses to route the users of network B. The route works great from server B to server A, then to the internet IP (A trace directly from server B goes to server A, then to the internet IP), but for a user of network B, a trace goes to server B, then server A, then nothing ! Server A seems to block the routing... Is there a way to remove that blocking ? I searched for this, but could not find anything with this kind of configuration. Thanks!
August 15th, 2009 7:49am

Probably nothing is being blocked. I suspect that there is no reply because the routing is not configured correctly. Routing is a two-way process. Providing a route to get traffic from a to B is not sufficient. There must also be a route from B to A for the return traffic (or the reply packet if you use ping). Once you start using multiple routers, default routing falls down. I guess that you have a particular reason to do this, but it sounds a crazy system to me.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 15th, 2009 10:27am

Hello, If nothing is blocked, then why directly from the server B, the route works perfectly !! It seems like server A is "thinking" this : "Hey, this starting computer is not of my subnet, hence I will not do anything more for it !". I do have a reason for this, and if you really want to know, I could take some time to explain, it will be a long reply :) A route on server A is programmed to come back to network B, VPN connection setup took care of this. The VPN interconnect works great, a user from network B has full access to the network A, but cannot access outside of network A through server A ! Same thing for users of network A to network B. Any other suggestions ?
August 15th, 2009 5:15pm

Not without a lot more detail of the routing setup. How do the clients in each site access the Internet? What is their default gateway? A simple network diagram would help.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2009 4:51am

Hello, Very simple setup, each client get configured by DHCP, which is the Windows server, and the gateway is the Windows server. The routes are programmed in RRAS on the server. The server gets on internet via a regular router, and the internet is a regular modem cable fast speed.
August 16th, 2009 6:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics