Remote desktop from Win 7 to Win server 2003 only allows 16 bit color depth. How to increase to at least 24 bit?
Hi! I'd like to RDP in to a Win server 2003 computer from my new Windows 7 (x64) computer. There's no problem to connect but the connection only allows me to use 16 bit color depth on the Windows server 2003 client. The program I want to use on this computer requires at least 24 bit to run.

I've googled around and tried it all:

-setting the color depth to 4 or 5 through regedit (on both computers)
-creating a Group Policy object-snap in through mmc
-reading endless of forums but no one has had the same issue as I

My question. If all the ordinary solutions isn't working what could the issue then be? My only suspision at this point is the the RDP-client on Win server isn't working properly. The Windows Server 2003 client is fully updated machine and it should have the RDP 5.2-version installed but I can only find 5.1. Could this be the issue? That it needs to be 5.2 to properly communicate with a win7(x64)? If so, how can I upgrade solely the RDP-client since it seems not to have followed with the Automatic Update as it should?

All answers and feedback are very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Frank
December 18th, 2009 11:50am

Hi Frank_BMA,
Since your question is concerning Windows Server 2003, I'm moving this thread to the TechNet Window Server forums.
Thanks for using Microsoft Answers!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2009 3:47am

Hello Frank,

I’m not sure if I understand the issue clear enough. However, I think the question can be accessed as below:

·          It is the Remote Desktop Connection software on the client side decide which color depth you can choose when initial a remote access.

·          RDP 5.1 supports as highest as 24-bit color. But you can upgrade the RDC software to the latest version for Windows Server 2003:

Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/925876

·          Another factor that decide the highest color-depth is the display options on the client side. The highest color-depth you can choose won’t exceed the one value of the client side. You can check the value on Windows 7 via Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution\Advanced Settings\Monitor tab\Colors\

Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

December 24th, 2009 9:20am

Hello Lionel,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to be more specific. =)

I have now updated the Win server 2003 PC to Terminal Services Client 6.0. 

I'm using a win7 (x64) PC and I need to RDP in to a Win server 2003 (x86) PC, but when I do so I can only use 16 bit color depth. Both PCs are set to 32 bit, and so is also the display settings in the RDP-client on the win7 PC.

Why can't use more than 16bit color-depth? If I go the other way from the Win Server 2003 to the Win7 there's no problem with the colors at all!

If the color settings are correct, what's wrong?

Many thanks
Regards
Frank
December 28th, 2009 9:49am

Hello Frank,

I think the cause of this issue is related to a group policy setting, which is at the following location on Windows Server 2003 schema:

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Terminal Services \ “Limit maximum color depth”

By default, the maximum color-depth is 16-bit if the setting is Not Configured or Disabled. Therefore, if you want to use higher color-depth (24-bit only), please manually enable the setting and set the value to 24-bit or Client Compatible.

Let us know the result if possible. Good holidays to you!

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

December 29th, 2009 8:48am

Hi Lionel,

I have checked the "Limit maximum color depth" on Windows server 2003 and it is enabled with 24-bit.

I found it through this path: Programs \ Administrative Tools \ Terminal Services Configuration \ Connections. From here I can open a configuration window for RDP 5.1.  (Is this right? I updated yesterday with Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/925876
)

It is still not working.

If I open MMC to create a new Group Policy Object Editor snap-in if find Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ ... but no Terminal Services . There is only Search, Windows Media Player and Windows Update available as options.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places. If I am, please let me know where to find the path you described above.

Many thanks and Good Holidays to you too! ;)

Regards
Frank

December 29th, 2009 9:51am

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your feedback and the test.

I still recommend you to check the local group policy setting “Limit maximum color depth” on the Terminal Server side. Based on your description of Group Policy Object Editor, I suspect the loss of Terminal Services folder is caused by system.adm file not loaded successfully. Please try to fix it via the following steps:

1.     Open Group Policy Object Editor (run “gpedit.msc”) on the terminal server.

2.     Expand Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates

3.     Right click Administrative Templates folder and select Add/Remove Templates, if system is not listed in the panel, go to Step 4; If it is, remove it and go to Step 4.

4.     Click Add button.

5.     In the next phase, it is Windows\inf folder, if it is not, please navigate to the folder. Select system.adm file and click Open.

6.     Check if the Terminal Services folder appears under Windows Components now.

Thanks for your cooperation and we’re looking forwards to the result. Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

December 30th, 2009 6:00am

Hello again,

Thanks for your quick replies! =)

I have followed all steps and found "Limit maximum color depth" as described. I have tried out both Enable (24-bit value) and Client Compatible . It is still not working, though!

What could I have missed? I've double checked the settings on Win Server 2003 and the RDP-settings on Win7. Both seems ok, i.e. When I connect I make sure the display settings are set to 24-bit (to match the "Limit maximum color depth" on Win server 2003 - to be sure ;). 

Many thanks for sharing your expertise! ;)

Regards
Frank

December 30th, 2009 9:27am

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please help me collect the GPResult from both the client and server sides, as the following command-line:

Server side: gpresult /h tsresult.html

Client side: gpresult /h cltresult.html

From this result, we can confirm if there is any group policy settings applied to your server and client that restrict the color-depth. To protect your internal information, we have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=b8ffa8b4-722c-490b-bdb0-766d77dea520)

Password: KmsOWSn-*a_pLZN*

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

December 31st, 2009 5:22am

just butting in here, but wanted to be sure - you ae making a computer change, so did you try rebooting the terminal servers and then test?
December 31st, 2009 7:52pm

Hello and Happy New Year! ;)

Ok...

Kristin, no probs for butting in and yes I'm rebooting. ;)

Lionel, 

Some new issues have occured. Since I'm running Win server 2003 R2 the command 'gpresult /h tsresult.html' isn't working: "/h is an invalid argument/option". It seems only work in Win Server 2008 or later. So... I got some help to extract an .txt-file instead... =)

The other thing is that I couldn't upload the files on your workspace. It might have to do with me usually using Firefox ;) but when I tried in Explorer instead the password seemed to have expired. So... no files have been uploaded I'm afraid.

This is maybe of interest. These two computers are not included in the same domain or Active Directory. Only the Client PC (Win 7) in included in the AD. The Server is a stand alone computer.

Many thakkns!

Regards
Frank

January 7th, 2010 11:34am

Hello again,

I have now managed to upåload the requested gpresult-files from each computer on the above mantioned workspace! ;)

Thanks

Regards
Frank
January 12th, 2010 10:15am

Excuse my careless typing! ;)

Frank
January 12th, 2010 10:18am

Still around? Just wondering.
Regards
Frank
January 21st, 2010 8:20am

Hello?!

Why this sudden end of the thread!? Can someone please pick this up again, take over or redirect me to anywhere where I can solve my issue? Or do I need to go somewhere else for help?

I really appreciate you're help and I really need to solve this, but I don't appreciate being forgotten or even ignored (!? - I hope not that's the case). Please let me know what's going on!

Regards
Frank
January 27th, 2010 3:03pm

you need to show us the gpresults.

PLease sign up for skydrive (www.skydrive.com) or some other service and upload the files and post the links here.

THanks
January 27th, 2010 8:36pm

Hi Kristin,
Thanks for your reply. I had no intention to be rude if I sounded like that. I appreciate you're help a lot. I am just confused at this point.

I'm aware that you need to see the gpresults and as you can see from earlier posts I had some troubles uploading them (January 07th) and that I finally managed to upload them to recommended workspace (January 12th). I haven't heard anything from you since and I have no idea if you got the files or not. That's why I'm confused. According to the upload site it was an succesfull upload. What more can I then do than wait for an answer from you?

This is were I've uploaded the gpresults. Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=b8ffa8b4-722c-490b-bdb0-766d77dea520 )

Please confirm if you can or cannot find them or I'll try again if it failed to upload.

Many thanks!

Regards
Frank
January 28th, 2010 9:12am

Frank,

Yeah that is to transfer to and from MIcrosoft.  I do not work at MIcrosoft.  So I cannot use this.  If you could upload to someplace like skydrive then send me the link I can then download.

Or just email me the files: kristin.l.griffin AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks
January 28th, 2010 4:42pm

Hi Kristin,

Ok... I've sent the files to your gmail.

Many thanks!

Regards
Frank
January 29th, 2010 8:20am

Ok Folks,

We have solved the mystery. LOL

So, first I changed the server GP to be set to Client Compatible and rebooted.
Then I tested from the Win7 client and the RDP connection got 16bit even though it was set to 32bit.  It did the same thing if set the client to use 24bit.

So then I tested another Win7 client, and this one got 24bit. So now we know its not the server.

So I checked the differences between the two WIn7 clients and noticed that the screen size was different.
After testing, if we lowered the screen size for the RDC on the client this is the results of this:

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1920 x 1200 and 24 or 32bit = 16BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1920 x 1080 and 24 or 32bit  = 16BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1680 x 1050 and 24 or 32bit  = 24BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1440 x 900 and 24 or 32bit  = 24BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1280 x 1024 and 24 or 32bit = 24BIT  colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1280 x 768 and 24 or 32bit = 24BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

So when Frank was using "full screen" he was only getting 16bit resolution.  The highlighted settings above is the break point.  Anything higher gets 16bit.

February 25th, 2010 6:27pm

Yepp! The mystery is solved thanks to a wonderful support session! :D I'm very thankful and happy! You rock! =)

Many many thanks - again! :D

Big Hug!

Best regards!
Frank
February 25th, 2010 6:31pm

I have almost same kind of problem with my Windows 7 Client (Virtual Machine) connected to Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2.

1- I have scenario that all the Window 7 client Virtual Machines allocated on Xen server and joined with Window server AD,
2- I have RDP based HP Zero client devices, When i get connected using RDP and get login using AD account. Everything is working fine
even the Screen Resolution etc but It was 16bit Color Depth which cause jerking in explorer and MS office even SVGA is installed on VM. I tried the VMware Virtual Machine client (Window 7) then it has the same problem on RDP session on client end. I face problem that it is not getting connect even if i login on virtual machine machine locally, it is running on 32bit with good resolution but on RDP session it is showing Default RDDP and 16bit with the Zero client Device resolution. It is fine with Resolution but the movies, Solatire game, Internet explorer. all the contents are jerking badly.

I find out the solution over google that I should create an OU for the users and VM's and implement a Group Policy for them. In which i configured,

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Remote Desktop/Remote Desktop Environment/ Color Depth and also other settings for Users for RDP session.

I properly apply the GPO by using gpupdate /Force. It successfully applied but when i get login using this user on RDP Session, there is no any impact of this policy. I did the same using local policy but the result is same.

Then for test purpose, I apply User Configuration/Administrative Templates/ (Some of the policy for test). When i get login on RDP session then these policies were perfectly working.

All the things are fine with User Configuration of GPO but Computer Configuration is not applying.

Kindly help me in this matter please. I am attaching the Gpresult of Windows 7 Client after logging through user, and also the Windows Server 2008 R2 Gpresults.

I will be looking forward for your inputs. My email ID is Arsalanh2000@hotmail.com

March 21st, 2012 3:28pm

Hi,

i have the same problem with color depth and screen resolution:

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1920 x 1200 and 24 or 32bit = 16BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1920 x 1080 and 24 or 32bit = 16BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1680 x 1050 and 24 or 32bit  = 24BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

WIN 7 client RDC set to 1440 x 900 and 24 or 32bit  = 24BIT colors when RDP to the win2k3 R2 server

is there any way to set up the color depth to 24bit on 1920 x 1080?

The GPO is correct - otherwise the lower resolutions do not work

May 3rd, 2012 8:45am

The one thing not mentioned here is the fact that 

1/ The host computer has to have a a 24/32 bit capable graphic card as well as the client .

2/  the client has to be capable and have a enough memory and resources to run a RD session without hindering the normal operation of that said system. (the Remote Desktop client will determine  this during connection and may reduce color depth to ensure this)

other than this any normal avg computer should have no issues with getting 24 bit to work

work stations and servers often have only 16 bit display cards which means 16 bit is the max you can get .

April 19th, 2015 2:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics