Remote access no longer working on WAN
Good morning, I support a client who has a Windows 2003 small business server. They have remote access set up on the server through routing and remote access. In the WAN properties of the NAT/Basic Firewall section, they have the users set up in the services and ports area. For instance, I have a user, SYB who is set up with an incoming port of 6677, an internal IP address route of 192.168.16.16, and an outgoing port of 3389. The procedure has always been for this user to go to remote desktop on his computer at home and type in : office.xyzcompany.com:6677. When he does this, the login screen comes up and he can log into his computer at the office. This worked up until today when he can no longer log into his computer at the office through remote desktop. I checked the IP address on his computer at the office, and it is set to 192.168.16.16. I am stumped on where to go next. Any Ideas? Mary Mary ComputerDiva
December 22nd, 2010 3:27pm

Did you check the public IP (NAT IP) associated with 192.168.16.16? When you ping office.xyzcompany.com did you get the correct IP address? From internal network (not from outside) can RDP into the server using 192.168.16.16? Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX Blogs - http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ Articles - http://www.sivarajan.com/publications.html Twitter: @santhosh_sivara - http://twitter.com/santhosh_sivara This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 22nd, 2010 10:23pm

Hi Mary, Thanks for posting here. I’d suggest you may start checking if user where at home could properly resolve the internet address of domain “office.xyzcompany.com” by using nslookup and using ping to check the connectivity. Are there other services also be published in services and ports list ? and could user also correctly access these services form home ? What if connect to host 192.168.16.16 via remote desktop form RRAS server , will login screen come up? Is there any error or warning recorded in event log on RRAS server ? have you recently modified any system configuration ? Meanwhile, you may check if it worked with restarting Routing and Remote Access service. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 23rd, 2010 9:51pm

Hi Mary, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 26th, 2010 9:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics