Remote Subnet does not find DHCP Server
I have had a 1 DHCP server for both a local and a remote subnet. The subnet is connected via a Cisco router. I am trying to retire that server and have added DHCP services to a new server. I deactivated the local subnet on the old server, and activated the local subnet on the new server. The local clients now use the nes DHCP server and all is as expected. When I do the same for the remote subnet, the remote clients do not use an address on from the new DHCP server. I have checked the server and scope options for each. The range on the old server is 192.168.4.1 - 192.168.4.100, with an exc range 192.168.4.1 - 192.168.4.50. The range on the new server is 192.168.4.201 - 192.168.4.254. with no exc range. I have no relevant entries in the DHCP server log on the new server. Any help is welcomed. Thank you. Bill
May 14th, 2012 1:33pm

Hi, As the IP Address of your DHCP server has changed you'll have to reconfigure the DHCP Relay on the Cisco Router (IP helper-address command if I remember). Regards,
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 14th, 2012 1:42pm

Check the Cisco router you have change the old DHCP server address using ip helper-address 192.168.4.x (IP Address for new DHCP server). For DHCP queries better to discuss here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/thread/ Thanks
May 14th, 2012 2:44pm

Hello, either reconfiugre the routers DHCP relay or install a DHCP relay agent on a server in the remote subnet.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 14th, 2012 3:06pm

Thank you for mentioning the router. I should have thought of that. Bill
May 21st, 2012 4:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics