Remote Query Support in DFS
When will remote query support be added to DFS namespaces? Currently, if a client with WDS queries a server with WDS installed, remote query only works via \\servername\share and NOT \\domain\dfs\share. Here is more information about this problem: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/85525c46-1ab5-46e1-a288-e36561a6ffab Thanks.
January 6th, 2010 1:10pm

Hello Aakash, When you say "Remote Query" to DFS namespace, do you mean install WDS 4.0 on the Remote Server (DFS namespace server), and user can query the indexes generated by the DFS namespace? If so, the simple answer is NO. As far as I know, Windows Desktop Service will not search indexing those documents or files that located on a DFS namespace or volume mount points. This behavior is due to a limitation in the built-in search feature of Windows Vista and Windows 7. Remote query can only indexing simple UNC path like \\servername\share but not DFS link share such as \\domain\dfs\share. Currently you may try the workarounds if you want to remote query the DFS namespace share:1. Choose "advanced search" and check the box to "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)." 2. For searching DFS shares, enable client side caching (offline files) and make sure Offline Files are listed in the Indexing Options. Meanwhile, I will report your demand to our corresponding team, if we have any update on it, we will let you know it. Thanks for your understandings. Best Regards, David ShenThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2010 11:47am

Hello David! I was referring to installing WDS 4 on the actual file server itself, and not the server that hosts the DFS namespace. So, for example, if we had: DFS: \\domain\dfsroot\share that refers to \\fileserver\share File Server: \\fileserver\share I installed WDS 4 on \\fileserver, but remote queries are not supported via DFS UNC path, and only via a non-DFS UNC path (as you mentioned). The concern with using workaround number 1 is that each client then has to index the file server, which defeats the purpose of remote query (unless I misunderstood your workaround). For desktop systems, we don't enable offline files since it doesn't provide enough benefit for systems that are always online and offline files does introduce other minor problems (space concerns and files not potentially syncing, etc) even with Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 and so this option would also not be a viable workaround. We (there are many others at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/85525c46-1ab5-46e1-a288-e36561a6ffab) would greatly appreciate seeing support for this. This has been a reported problem since at least March 31, 2008 (which is when the thread posted above was started). Thanks.
January 11th, 2010 6:32am

Hi Aakashi,We fully understand your concern and have forwarded the feedback to our product group. The product team has been aware of it and hope they will be fixed in the near future. If I have any update information, we will let you as soon as possible. Thank you for the understanding.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 11th, 2010 11:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics