Remote Management
Remember in Windows Server 2003 - where you could right click on computer management and connect to a remote machine? Why can't we do that in Windows Server 2008? Is there a feature that has to be turned on to do that? Why did Microsoft take this away? Thanks in advance! WalidWalid Gharwal
April 6th, 2011 1:50pm

Not a direct answer to your question but Microsoft has a newer tool "Remote Desktop Manager" that allows very fast access to one or multiple computers simultaneously with a single click and the ability to monitor or switch between each by using thumbnails. A great time saver. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4603c621-6de7-4ccb-9f51-d53dc7e48047Rob Williams
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 6th, 2011 2:12pm

Thanks but is this tool part of Windows Server 2008 - NOT R2? Walid Gharwal
April 6th, 2011 4:29pm

It can be installed on any current Windows O/S. Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Vista Users using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 will need to obtain version 6 or newer of the Remote Desktop Connection client software. See the related downloads for more information.Rob Williams
April 6th, 2011 4:50pm

I downloaded and installed the tool but that is not what I was talking about. I meant more the "Computer Management" aspect of it. Where you can manage the server remotely - getting access to services, local accounts (user and groups), event logs, etc.Walid Gharwal
April 6th, 2011 5:12pm

That is still present, at least it is on my 2008 servers. In Active directory right click on a computer and choose "mange". I previously thought you were referring to an old addon for 2003 that allowed you to right click on a machine and chose to start a RDP session.Rob Williams
April 6th, 2011 5:23pm

I am confused, you can do this in 2008 Start, AdministratioN Tools, Computer Managment (or just run compmgmt.msc ), right click "Computer Managment (local)", and select "Connect to another computer" All the admin tools remain remotable in 2008 and 2008 R2
April 6th, 2011 9:37pm

that's exactly what I mean - "computer management" - right clicking and selection "connect to another computer" - it existed on server 2003 but I dont' have this option in Windows Server 2008 (the NON R2 version). It maybe available in R2 but I am not working with R2 currently. Is this option available in Server 2008 - NON R2? Thanks, WalidWalid Gharwal
April 7th, 2011 1:00pm

If you right click on "Computer" and choose mange, the option to connect to another computer is not there like it was with 2003. However, if you start it with Administrative tools | computer management, or start if from the run box using compmgmt.msc, you should have the option. Alternatively right click on the computer in Active Directory. Rob Williams
April 7th, 2011 1:17pm

ok. Sorry for all the confusion but - there is a difference between "computer management" and "server manager " . I just tested this on a server 2008 R2 box - and if I right click on "server manager" - I have the option to connect to a remote computer. This option, however, is not availabe in server 2008 - NON R2. Is there a reason for that and is there a workaround?Walid Gharwal
April 7th, 2011 2:12pm

All three are similar but have different options: right click on "computer" and choose manage administrative tools | Computer management or enter compmgmt.msc in the start/run box server manager # 1 will not have the option to connect to a remote computer though it did with server 2003. Have you tried option #2 ? It should work on 2003/2008/2008 R2Rob Williams
April 7th, 2011 2:25pm

Yes - there are 2 tools: 1. Computer Management 2. Server Manager #1 is available for all versions. However, #2 has the option to connect to a remote computer in R2. However, it does not have this option in 2008. Is there a reason for that and is there a workaround to get the option to connect to a remote computer in 2008?Walid Gharwal
April 7th, 2011 3:12pm

No Server Manager in 2008 does not have that option, only 2008 R2. Microsoft in every version seems to change the way various features are accessed even down to the folder up arrow in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately we have to learn the differences with different operating systems. Tools are not provided to cerate identical menus and options on all versions. I assume though you can access remote computers using #2 in my previous post. That method is similar in all 3 versions 2003, 2008, 2008 R2Rob Williams
April 7th, 2011 3:22pm

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the responses. I will mark this as an answer but need to vent a bit: I think it's not so much learning the differences but rather the lack of functionality within the same tool. Server Manager is Server Manager - be it in 2008 or 2008 R2. Still don't understand what the reason behind it is to remove that option in 2008. The same applies to cluster manager - in 2008 you can no longer move resources between nodes through the GUI - only through command line you can do that. I believe in 2008 R2 - that functionality is back in place. Doesn't make sense. Walid Gharwal
April 7th, 2011 7:05pm

I agree, sometimes it seems like change for the sake of change, however I or any one else here, has no design influence. I have found though, when offered the opportunity to ask Microsoft of such questions there often was some logic or rational involved. For example a tool may appear the same in different versions but the code behind it may be quite different and not allow certain options. WalidG, may I ask why you marked your own comment, which is not an answer or solution as the accepted solution? Rob Williams
April 7th, 2011 7:51pm

your rant makes no sense. Computer Manager (be it 2003, 2008, 2008 R2) has always supported remote managment (the connect to option) Server Manager didnt exist in 2003 (from memory, 2003 is 8 years old, get over it), and was added in server 2008. the 2008 version didn't support connect to, but that was hardly a regression of the 2003 experience, since 2003 didnt have it. Sure it was a limitation, but one that was not really important since Computer Management, and all the individual MMC snap-ins supported remote admin. So all you can really say is the v1 of server manager (2008) had a limitation, and that limitation was removed in the next version (R2). So your complaint is they added functionality? edit. Ots poissble SBS had some equiv to Server Manager in 2003 I guess.
April 7th, 2011 9:04pm

I believe I said "#2 in my previous post", Computer management (compmgmt.msc, existed in all three versions, not computer manager.Rob Williams
April 7th, 2011 9:15pm

You are the moderator - are you serious?? I don't believe anyone was ranting until your response. You are fired! :-) I could argue with you but I think I'd be wasting my time. Your answer (excluding your rant) had already been answered by Rob Williams. So, thanks for nothing. RANT Pronunciation (US): Dictionary entry overview: What does rant mean? • RANT (noun) The noun RANT has 2 senses: 1. a loud bombastic declamation expressed with strong emotion 2. pompous or pretentious talk or writing Familiarity information: RANT used as a noun is rare. • RANT (verb) The verb RANT has 1 sense: 1. talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner Familiarity information: RANT used as a verb is very rare. Walid Gharwal
April 7th, 2011 9:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics