Remote Desktop Web Access Administration not in menu

I am trying to figure out why RemoteApp is working and Remote Desktop connection isn't on my very simple installation. One thing I came across is that something seems to be missing from my Remote Desktop Services menu. According to the TechNet article at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee891009(WS.10).aspx if I should be able to access RD Web administration by following these instructions: 

• On the RD Web Access server, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Remote Desktop Services, and then click Remote Desktop Web Access Administration.

But when I go there I find that there is no Remote Desktop Web Access Administration. Any ideas on why it doesn't exist?

March 27th, 2015 2:51pm

Hi,

If RD Web Access Role Service is installed on a Server 2008 R2 server, there should be a link named Remote Desktop Web Access Configuration.  It is just a shortcut to the RD Web Access Configuration tab.  You can get to it manually by logging on to RDWeb as an admin and clicking on the Configuration tab.

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 27th, 2015 3:43pm

I see that one, but it just starts a wizard. Is that the right one? There is no Remote Desktop Web Access Administration?
March 27th, 2015 3:48pm

Hi,

It is not a wizard--it is just the RDWeb Configuration tab.  Has a couple of radio buttons on the page, box for the source, plus ok/cancel buttons.

What is the precise server operating system version you are using?  I'm describing Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter behavior.

-TP

March 27th, 2015 3:53pm

Yes, that's the OS I'm using. Those settings are set properly as far as I know. Since this is all on one server, the DC (very small office that can't justify second server), I'm not using an RD Connection Broker so it's set to the RemoteApp sources and the Source name is the internal FQDN of the server. servername.domain.local. The weird thing is that when I log in via RD Web the RemoteApps Programs tab has a Remote Desktop icon that successfully connects me to the server but the Remote Desktop tab always fails, telling me it can't connect to the computer.
March 27th, 2015 4:25pm

Hi,

Did you set DefaultTSGateway to the FQDN of your RD Gateway?  You do this in IIS Manager, in the left pane navigate to Default Web Site\RDWeb\Pages, in the middle pane double-click Application Settings, finally modify DefaultTSGateway.  After making the change you need to refresh the RDWeb page if you have it open.

-TP

March 27th, 2015 4:28pm

Is that value the external or internal FQDN? domain.com or domain.local? I currently have it set for domain.com.
March 27th, 2015 4:32pm

Hi,

External FQDN for the RD Gateway, for example, gateway.domain.com.  This same FQDN should be set in RemoteApp Manager for RD Gateway.

DefaultTSGateway is only used for the Remote Desktop tab in RD Web Access.

If you choose to use RD Gateway for internal connections as well you should have a DNS A record for the FQDN of your RD Gateway that points to the private ip address of your RD Gateway.  The default setting is to not use RDG for local connections.

-TP

March 28th, 2015 11:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics