Remote Desktop Services will not configure on Server 2012 R2

Hi,

I just installed a Windows 2012 R2 VM and after installing Remote Desktop roles, I get this popup window error when I try to run the "Remote Desktop Services Installation": could not retrieve the deployment information from the rd connection broker server (then name of my local server). Note: the VM is domain joined and I have already three RDS servers on this domain.

Also, in the event viewer, I can see errors such as: 

event ID 1280 Remote Desktop Services failed to join the Connection Broker on server (the name of my local server).
Error: Current async message was dropped by async dispatcher, because there is a new message which will override the current one.

event id 20499 Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server (one of my domain controllers that is not even in the DNS configuration of this machine) for user administrator.

It seems as if there is some AD issue here but my AD replication and setup is quite clean.

Has anyone seen this before?

February 20th, 2015 3:11am

I forgot to mention that this new VM is on Azure and that it is joined to my on-premises domain via a site to site vpn link (everything seems in order from that point of view).
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 20th, 2015 3:14am

not sure if this is supported or not, I can see in this scenario that an AD DC is inside azure so he's able to make it work:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2013/09/04/step-by-step-remote-desktop-services-on-windows-azure-a-cost-effective-alternative-to-desktop-as-a-service-part-2.aspx

are there any port restrictions between azure and your network?

are you mixing 2008 and 2012 components in your RDS setup?

make sure the Azure VM is under the Computers OU until you have finished configuring RDS, you can move it out after but GPOs will sometimes get in the way of configuring this

February 20th, 2015 3:37pm

Until June 2013, RDS was not permitted/supported on Azure but that changed (but you need your licenses of course).

Read briefly the article that you posted and except for an "affinity group" and and "availability set", I did exactly that. The problem starts as soon as I try to configure RDS: the RD connection broker server times out or something like that. I can hardly see how an affinity group and availability set would cause that.

So I checked my internal AD configuration and not a glitch (I already have three RDS servers running in production in my racks, two with 2012 r2 and one with 2008 r2). So I scrapped the 2012 R2 VM and created a second one: same problem. At that point, I created a new Windows 2008 R2 VM and configured RDS without a glitch. Running fine as I write these notes.

So I wondering if the Windows 2012 R2 image in the image gallery doesn't have some issue with it.

A few other things: I noticed that VMs on Azure are not very quick, especially if you take any "A" VM. The "D" VMs are much better (but wow, are they expensive). Also, I noticed that the site to site VPN sometimes times out, skipping a few pings here and there yesterday (but not today). So the VPN connector may not be as perfect as I would hope even if it is connected on my side to a 100 mbps network. And all ports are opened in the tunnel on my side of things, same as for all my other tunnel but with the MS Azure VPN connector, I can't tell.

It would be cool if I could use my own Windows 2012 image that I would build here on premises and then send it to Azure. Can that be done?

Thanks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 20th, 2015 3:56pm

Definitely a problem on Azure: either the VM gallery has a problem with RDS or that the site to site VPN is blocking something (like a port): I spinned two new VMs on my "on premises" networks (one on a test domain and one in my production domain) and RDS configures just fine. So the problem is Azure related.

Wonder what my next step is with Azure.

Benoit

February 21st, 2015 10:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics