Remote Desktop Problem after installing Windows Updates
Hello everyone!First Post and allready i got some problems to share :)I keep having one problem with installing windows updates. Allmost everytime i install patches, rebootserver, the Remote Desktop stops working. Windows shares, web-sites and everything else works fine. RDP just dont work. No error messages, nothing. When i reboot the server again, the RDP starts working again :)rebooting multiple server twice isnt that fun, so i decided i have to do something about it.TroubleshootingFirst i though that it must be just somethingabout patches,but month after month and by different patches, thesame thing continues.OK, so it isnt just one time.Then i started to think that it must be some kind of driver problem with the network hardware. It might have been, but the same problem occurred with different hardware (Dell/HP), so no help there.After that, i googled and googled and did find that sometimes windows dont actually allwaysboot after updates. I used sysinternals psexec to log into the server, and BINGO. System uptime showed that the server havent actually booted at all. So that MIGHT be the problem, just dont know how to fix it.I allways just push the windows update button "reboot now", so maybe it has something to do with that. Tried to do normal reboot, and some cases it did help, but not allways.The best way was that after installing the patches, i just log off. After i logged in again and THEN rebooted, most (actually all i think) rebooted just fine. Any thoughs?
August 27th, 2008 10:23am

Hi Customer, This problem seems to be unusual. According to your description, systems sometimes could not reboot properly after Windows Update so remote desktop could not work properly. Before we go any further, I would like to confirm how you install windows update, in a remote desktop session or on the console itself? If you were installing Windows Update remotely, I suggest that you install them when you logon to the console of the server to see whether it works. Based on my experience, this problem may occur when there are some timing issue during the reboot. The Terminal Services may start but the TermDD which is a terminal service device driver is not ready. Please perform the following steps to ensure that the dependency of TermService is correct: - Open Regedit on the affected Server- Go to the following Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService- In this Key there is a entry DependOnService" REG_MULTI_SZ RPCSS- Open this entry and type under RPCSS" the value Termdd" (without Quotation marks) - Reboot the server to test this issue again. Meanwhile, to isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the system into a Clean Boot environment to see whether it continues: 1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK. 2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button. 3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox, and then click the "Disable All" button. 4. Click OK and restart your computer to test again. If the problem continues, we will need to perform debug to identify why the server cannot boot properly. You may contact Microsoft Customer Service (CSS) directly so that we can perform further analysis. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.Laura Zhang - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2008 6:58am

Hi!I install updates logging in by remote desktop. I have configured the automated updates to "dowload updates automatically" and i then "manually" install them, by clicking that nice littleyellowshield :)I dont use WSUS (Maybe should, though ;) ).I have anVirtual KVM system on some of my servers and i have used that also when installing updates, just to check if that makes any difference.It seems that doing it "local" or by remote desktop dont make any difference.That timing issue is something that i have not tryed. Next time when i install updates and reboot servers, i will test that andtell how it went.Allthought i'm a little bit scared when modifying registry settings at production servers.The hard part in this is that it's pure random when this RDP dying occurs. Same server dont allways kill RDP...Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
September 1st, 2008 10:02am

Hi Customer, I understand that you are installing Windows Update in a remote desktop session; however, it seems to be the same when you install updates via KVM systems. I still suggest that you logon to the console of the server and then install Windows update. It was reported that some updates need console access and they cannot complete until a reboot is done form the console session. As a result, when you reboot in a normal terminal session the update is not completed properly which causes boot issue. If you really want to install Windows Updates in a terminal session, please use the -console switch to connect to the console session of the server and then install updates. To do so, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: 278845 How to Connect to and Shadow the Console Session with Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;278845Laura Zhang - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2008 5:37am

Ok, next time when i patch my servers i will use the console option.I will tell here how it went.Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
September 2nd, 2008 8:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics