Remote Desktop Not Working correctly
So I've hit a wall. I have a windows server 2003 and I cannot Remote desktop to the server. However, I can remote desktop to other computers from the server. I get "the computer cannot connect error" when trying to remote to the server. Here are the things that I've checked: 1: Made sure that RDP was checked under system properties to be enabled 2: confirmed under services that "terminal servers" was set to automatic and started 3: In Terminal services configuration I have deleted and created a new connection for RDP. I have checked the correct NIC for RDP. 4: I have turned off windows firewall 5: I have no firewall between me and the server. That said I'm on the same subnet. 6: I have confirmed through system registry that is is using port 3389. And I have also changed the port for testing still unable to RDP to server. 6: I've tried to telnet to the computer on port 3389 and get the error cannont connect on that port. 7: I have ran netstat -an |find "3389" does not show anything 8: I can ping the server 9: I have restarted the server 10: VNC works fine 11: I have looked at this KB but, does not apply to me since it had the correct settings - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270588/en-us Please any suggestions I've run out of ideas! thanks, Mike
October 30th, 2009 8:16pm

HiPleaseDouble check that remote desktop connection is enabled through windows firewall on BOTH computers.&check and tryto connect through RDP port(3389) And also check able to connect RDP tootherserver Via..Thanks... Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 31st, 2009 1:06am

According to the description, the 3389 port is not listened which means that terminal service encounter some problems. It may be related to the following: a. Some Terminal-related configuration was changed recently. b. Some terminal service related components were damaged. c. The 3389 port that terminal server is configured to listen on is occupied by another service. Please ensure that you have checked the "Enable Remote Desktop on this computer" option in the System Properties dialog. In addition, please check the "Device\Video0" registry key. This problem may occur when the Device\Video0 registry key is missing. If this registry value is corrupt, the RDP-Tcp will be displayed as "Down" state. Remote Desktop Protocol Clients Cannot Connect to Terminal Services Server http://support.microsoft.com/?id=270588 Please also apply the hot fix described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article. 970267 The RDPCDD and MNMDD drivers are not initialized correctly on a computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;970267 To let terminal services listen on 3389 port properly, the following services or kernel driver needs to be started properly. You may check the System Information to verify whether they are started properly. Terminal Services RDPCDD RDPDR RDPWD TDTCP TermDD If this problem continues, please help me collect some information so that I can perform further research: 1. Please perform the following steps to help us gather a MPS Report file: Download the MPSRPT_DirSvr.EXE file from the following website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 2) Double-click to run the MPSRPT_ DirSvc.EXE file and wait for it to complete. 3) Send me the .cab file generated in the following folder: systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\<Report Type>\CabTermDD 2. Have you enabled the [Allow users to connect remotely using Terminal Services] group policy 3. When did this problem begin to occur? Did it coincide with any special events, such as the installation of some software, etc? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 3rd, 2009 6:23am

Hello mikeAny update on this issue?ThanksDeva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 3rd, 2009 7:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics