Remote Desktop Not Working Accross a WAN to a Guest Virtual Server
Hello I am having a problem connecting via RDP to a Guest Hyper-v Virtual Server accross a WAN. I can connect to it via RDP in the local Subnet and also when I VPN from home. I know I can RDP across the WAN to other servers without any problems. I am not sure if I missed a configuration on the HOST Virtual server or Guest Virtual server. Any help would be appreciated. Configuration: Host Server has Windows Server 2008 Enterprise installed. HYPER-V role is enabled. It has a Guest Windows 2008 Enterprise server machine running. The Guest server has Remote Desktop Enabled, the users have been added to the local Remote Desktop user group of that Guest Server. The firewall has been disabled on the Guest Server.
May 21st, 2008 10:09pm

Hello John, How do you connect the VM (guest Windows Server 2008) with the host Hyper-v server? Does the VM have a the public IP address? Generally speaking, you can connect to a server in VM directly if it has a pubic IP address. However, if the VM only has private IP address we need to use routing technology, such as NAT or port forwarding, to publish the specific port (RDP port 3389) so that external clients can connect to the server properly. To use NAT to publish port, you may perform the following steps: 1. Install RRAS (routing and remote access) on the host server and enable Router--->LAN routing only. 2. Under IP routing--->NAT/Basic Firewall, add both interfaces (public and private). 3. Set the private interface with "Private interface connected to private network". 4. Set the public interface with "Public interface connected to the Internet" and enable NAT on this interface. In the Service and Ports tab, enable the existing Remote Desktop entry then input the private address of the VM that will publish RDP (3389) to the Internet. Note: You also can manually create a entry with custom RDP port to publish. Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2008 10:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics