Remote Desktop Connection Broker and User Profile Disk not working good.

Hi;

I am setting up a new Windows 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Connection Broker with two Session Hosts and using DNS Round Robin and User Profile Disk in my configuration.  However; the user is always getting the temporary user profile even though I saw the user profile created on User profile disk, I enter the UNC path of user profile disk in my Collection, such as \\fileserver01\sharedisk.

The .bak temp user profile registry key always shows in the session host server registry.  Also, if I use my laptop's remote desktop connection client access to the session host 1 (192.168.1.101), it will redirect me to the session host 2 which is (192.168.1.102).  In DNS server, I have configured the round robin pointing to my Collection Name "vdesktop" which is 192.168.1.100.

My user is using Thin Client, what is the proper configuration for Remote Desktop Connection Broker to fix the temporary user profile

May 20th, 2015 2:05am

Hi,

1. Do the thin client devices support Network Level Authentication (NLA)?

2. Do the thin client devices support RDP 8.0 or preferably RDP 8.1?

3. Instead of using DNS RR have you tried having them connect to the broker instead, and then they will be redirected to one of the RDSH servers?  If the thin clients are not designed for Server 2012/2012 R2 RDS then you will need to set a default collection in the broker's registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\ClusterSettings

DefaultTsvUrl     REG_SZ     tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.<Collection Alias>

To determine the correct value for DefaultTsvUrl please open RDWeb in a non-IE web browser and click on the icon for the collection you would like to be the default, then edit the downloaded rdp file with Notepad and copy the portion of the loadbalanceinfo setting that is similar to the above.

After making the above changes please make sure the users are completely logged off on both RDSH servers and then test by having them connect to the broker instead.  They should automatically be redirected to one of the RD Session Host servers and get their profile.

Please note that if the thin clients do not properly support at least RDP 8.0 then the users may get a poor experience.  I have seen in the past where people complain about 2012 R2 RDSH and it was because the thin clients they were using only supported up to RDP 6.x/7.x or similar.  Some devices don't even fully support the lower version.

Thanks.

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2015 8:01am

Hi Kane,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Amy

May 30th, 2015 11:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics