Remote Access VPN/NAT issue
Hello Forum, I will like some help with my issue. I have setup RRAS as Remote Access VPN/NAT. The platform is Windows Server 2003 SP2. Remote clients can reach intranet resources alright but intranet clients cannot reach Internet. My setup is as follows: client(IP:192.168.250.x, DG:192.168.250.4)---->(192.168.250.4: No DG)RRAS[NAT/Remote Access VPN](My Public IP,DG Public IP assigned to LAN of ADSL modem)----->Switch---->(ADSL Modem in routing mode)------>Internet Any help will be greatly appreciated
August 25th, 2010 4:46pm

You should not be using two NICs in the RRAS machine if you are already behind an ADSL modem/NAT router. What exactly is the IP address of the public NIC of the RRAS machine? Can the RRAS machine see the Internet? If the public NIC is a registered public IP, you can have two NICs in the RRAS server and configure it for VPNand NAT. If the "public" IP of the RRAS server is in fact a private IP coming from DHCP on the ADSL device, you only need one NIC in the RRAS machine. The ADSL router does NAT for the LAN, and you need to forward the VPN protocol from the router to the VPN server on the LAN. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2010 3:22am

Hi starius40 , Thanks for post here. Yes, we’d like to check which device will acquired the public IP address. Based on my knowledge , we have to perform a dialing if using ADSL to connect to internet. So could you confirm that if the ADSL modern had configured to establish this dialing in your network? If not , then you should create a demand dial interface on your RRAS server for internet connection , then perform RRAS wizard to share internet connection and configure VPN services. Enable RRAS as a VPN Server and a NAT Router http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458971(WS.10).aspx Create a Demand-Dial Interface http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469686(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 26th, 2010 10:08am

Hello All, Thanks for you contributions so far. The modem is establishing the PPPOE connection and it is in route mode. I can therefore assign the public IPs on the LAN side of the modem. I am beginning to think that the issue is with the ISP because when I do a trace from a client on the 192.168.250.x network to say yahoo, DNS resolution occurs, and the trace goes as far as the ISPs BRAS. I am checking with ISP and will update the forum. Cheers.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2010 11:41am

Hello Forum, The issue was truly an ISP problem. Too bad I can't mention the ISP but they had assigned the wrong IP block to my client!!! Thanks for all your help
August 31st, 2010 12:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics