RemoteApp application minimizes/disappears when switching tabs on Windows Server 2012 R2

We are using an application with RemoteApp. 
We had no issues with Windows Server 2008R2. 
Installing the very same application on a Server 2012 R2 Standard, weird things started happening. 

The application (C++) has tabs in it, to switch between opened modules. 
All of a sudden when changing tabs, the application minimizes, and disappears completely from the start menu/taskbar (sorry, I'm a bit uncertain of the English terminology). The icon is gone.
If you click again, anywhere, the icon and application pops up again. 

However, if you right click, to switch tabs. The application does not minimize/disappear. Everything seems to be working then... On an interesting note, I imagine I see a slight difference when right clicking. As if the window takes longer to load. But we are talking hundredths here.

It is solid in the 2008R2 RemoteApp, no issues at all. 

So naturally I tried to find some differences between 2008 and 2012 RemoteApp. 

I found some changes. I disabled "Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp" through gpedit. Issue remains.

I also found some changes regarding FairShare. I disabled this on CPU/Disk/Network level. Issue remains. 

Do you have any idea what might be causing this odd behavior? 

• Edited by Johan_87 Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:43 PM
May 19th, 2015 3:39pm

Hi,

On the client PC, are you using mstsc.exe version 6.3.9600 (RDP 8.1)?

Have you contacted the application developer and asked if the application is compatible with Server 2012 R2 RemoteApp?

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2015 5:24pm

Yes, that is the version being used. This happens on both Win7 and Win8 clients, but I think the version might be the same on mstsc.exe there. I feel the cause is on the server-side, and not the client.

The developer basically states that it might work, or not. They don't test the application in these setups. 

Anyway, I feel my question is valid. Even if it is not supported in 2012 RemoteApp, why does it work on Server 2008/ Why does it not work on 2012?

Can I not disable some settings, somewhere, to make RemoteApp work as if it was Server 2008?

I literally have two application windows in front of me. One RemoteApp running from Server 2008 (works great) and the Server 2012 that does not work. 

May 20th, 2015 3:04pm

Hi Johan,

The developer basically states that it might work, or not. They don't test the application in these setups.

I would suggest you ask them to test the application.

Anyway, I feel my question is valid. Even if it is not supported in 2012 RemoteApp, why does it work on Server 2008/ Why does it not work on 2012?

Could be compatibility issue with the application. You may fully patch Windows systems to see if the issue persists.

Best Regards,
Amy 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 30th, 2015 11:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics