RemoteApp & multiple collections

Hello everybody,

I'm having a small issue and i don't know if this is solvable in RDS. I'm assigned to setup a high-available RDS environment in server 2012. This environment will serve around 150 people and will contain several applications.

Now the problem i am having is the following, i have created several collections each containing several session hosts. Each collection hosts different applications. These are split up because of compatibility issues or for security purposes. However some users need to be able to access applications hosted on different collections at the same time. The applications are published to the clients using an RDS connection URL to the connection broker implemented in the control panel setting. All applications from the different collections are published in the start menu of the client.

This is were the problem starts. When a users as an active session to collection A and needs to starts an application on collection B, an error pops up saying that the program is not listed in the list of authorized programs. I assume this is because it wants to start up the application on the session host that is currently hosting the session.

Is this solvable that the connection broker opens a second session to another session host?

Thanks for looking into this matter!

August 13th, 2013 4:05pm

Hi Kevin,

My psychic powers tell me that your end-users are not using the RDP8 client (i.e. they are not running Windows 8 or Server 2012 OS, and they are not running Windows 7 SP1 or Server 2008 R2 SP1 with the RDP Protocol 8.0 update installed).

If I am correct, then this is a known bug that is fixed in the RDP8 client. Try installing that update or using a Windows 8 machine.

Hope that helps,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 13th, 2013 9:40pm

Unfortunately, you are correct; there is no current solution that I am aware of for Windows XP. You can try engaging with Microsoft Support to get a fix ported down to Windows XP.
August 14th, 2013 9:12pm

Well i decided to get creative and solved it the following way. Just wanted to share my 'Dirty' Solution.

i have setup a 2008 R2 server with remoteapp configured. however i just published an explorer to the remoteapp start menu folder on the 2008 R2 server which is populated by the feed of the 2012 RD collections. This remoteapp is published to my XP clients.

The webfeed for access to my remoteapp colleciton on 2012 is automatically configured through GPO/script on the 2008 R2 server. So the remoteapp folder in the startmenu is automatically populated with the applications that the user has access to.

when a user on XP opens the remoteapp to the explorer on the 2008 R2 server, he sees a list of applications published from my 2012 collections. When he than starts an application from the list, the RDP client of the 2008 R2 server is used which is the latest version available and which supports multiple collections.

i know it's not how it's supposed to be, however it seems to be working. And is a temporary solution untill all XP clients are replaced :)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2013 4:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics