Reinstalling Server 2008 R2...
I did a fresh install of windows server 2008 r2 on a new server. However I was not happy with its set up so I thought I would simple start over.......that simple has not work like I thought so what are the steps or what am I doing wrong.... The first time I input the dvd I formated the 3 disk that where present but after that things went down hill. So now I see and do the following.... turn server on insert disc server boots up (dell screen, processor, bios, idrac, ipv6 and 4 all load) windows is loading files starting windows select language install now setup is starting select OS to install license terms upgrade or customer install....I select custom. Where do you want to install.......Disk 0 unallocated space 464.5 gb IF I simple hit the next button here I get. Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partion. See the setup log files for more info So I hit the NEW option and try to partion the drive......I will input a size....the hit apply but I will recieve the following error. Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space. Error 0x80070002. Thanks for any and all help!!!
November 29th, 2010 2:09pm

Make sure there are no removable disks connected. If your hardware is new enough I'd take advantage of the Dell Unified Server Configurator. If not you might also want to boot the Dell OpenManage disk to prepare the system for operating system installation. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2010 2:35pm

Make sure there are no removable disks connected. If your hardware is new enough I'd take advantage of the Dell Unified Server Configurator. If not you might also want to boot the Dell OpenManage disk to prepare the system for operating system installation. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 29th, 2010 2:36pm

I noticed that there are 3 hard disks connected to the computer. Please remove other two hard disks and connect just one hard disk, then continue the installation. Best Regards Dale Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 30th, 2010 4:54am

I noticed that there are 3 hard disks connected to the computer. Please remove other two hard disks and connect just one hard disk, then continue the installation. Best Regards Dale Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” you are correct there is 3 hard drives connected to this server. Does it matter which two I remove and which one I leave connected? I will try this and see what happens. Thanks!
November 30th, 2010 8:38pm

Leave the one you want the OS installed on. I'd still use the Dell tools for preparation of operating system installation. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 30th, 2010 11:47pm

Looking at the Dell Unified Server Configurator I see an option to reset my hardware configurations......Should I do this prior to deploying OS??
December 1st, 2010 11:45am

I removed 2 of the hd. Reset my hardware to the default settings using the Dell Unified Server Configurator. Then used that to install the OS. Everything is good now!! Thanks for both of your help!
December 1st, 2010 2:46pm

Good to hear. You're welcome. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
December 1st, 2010 11:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics