Register Dll as System Global
Hi! How can I register a dll as system global in Windows Server 2008? I am looking for the equivalent of "register.exe" in Windows Server 2003 for 2008. I have also tried using regsvr32.exe but it is giving me the following error that the dll is loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point can not be found and thus, can not be registered. I've also tried using the /n /i switch and it was also looking for DllInstall entry point. Any thoughts on this? Thanks,Mike
May 17th, 2008 11:00am

Hi Mike, Based on the research, the regsvr32 can works on Windows Server 2008. According to this issue, it seems that Regsvr32.exe was unable to find the required entry point in the module specified in the command line. This error can occur if the entry points are not properly exported from the module or if the module is not a .DLL or .OCX file. To verify whether the regsvr32.exe is working properly, please run the following command on the problematic server. Regsvr32 vbscript.dll If it is executed successfully, it means that regsvr32.exe is working properly. Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2008 12:55pm

Unfortunately, the DLL that I want to register does not contain the required entry point and I have no control over the DLL that is being registered. In Win2k3, running the "register.exe" command wouldn't ask for any entry point. I am looking for the equivalent of that in Win2k8.
May 29th, 2008 6:03pm

Hi Mike, As far as we know, Register.exe has been removed in Windows Server 2008. The register.exe tool was introduced in Windows 2000 as a temporary application compatibility tool. Years have passed by. We estimate that most customers have upgraded their legacy applications to make it compatible with terminal service environment. As a result, we have removed this tool from Windows Server 2008 and there is no replacement for it currently. We will keep monitoring the requirement for this tool. If many customers still need it, we will consider rolling it into Application Compatibility Tools and release it via some alternative path. Thank you for your understanding. Your potential. Our passion.
June 2nd, 2008 2:08pm

I would like to see the register.exe in Windows Server 2008. Our company uses many of our legacy dll's which cannot be registered on newer systems.
June 4th, 2008 11:08pm

I agree with Mitch, we have some delphi dlls that will not register and are going to have to recode our stuff or downgrade the servers. Looks like we will be going back to server 2003 until this is resolved.
July 31st, 2008 1:20am

Hi David,Our project also uses the COM dll, which don't have entry point for them. We don't have control over them. These were working fine for windows server 2003 but failed for 2008. Do we have some way to register such components in windows server 2008 for backward compatibility.ThanksMB
December 28th, 2009 3:33pm

register.exe has nothing to do with COM registration. It is used to adapt certain legacy DLLs or EXEs to run in multi-user environment (on Terminal Server). A binary registered as SYSTEM GLOBAL creates global named objects that can be accessed from all user sessions, instead of local (per-session) named objects (which is a default behavior).Because register.exe makes changes to the target binary file, you can register your DLL on windows server 2003 and then copy it to windows 2008, or you could copy register.exe to windows 2008.Thx,Sergey.
January 8th, 2010 1:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics