Regarding filter search option in SSRS

Hi,

Do any one have idea for search option in the filter of SSRS,like in the filter  let say for the category parameter  we have 100 values , instead of scrolling down for the required option. can we have an option for search in the filter so that when we type certain value it will come up for example in the Google website, when we type the value in the search bar in the drop down we will get the option..same as that...........can we do in the ssrs.

If yes how can we achieve? Do we need to write any .net code?

have any one gone through this type of requirement in SSRS

thanks,

aravind

April 15th, 2011 10:03pm

It's a front end future actually but you can try this method by using LIKE % condition, see the example here.

http://romiller.com/2008/07/29/searchable-dependant-parameters-in-ssrs/

Hope this helps!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 15th, 2011 11:06pm

Hi aravindt46,

Based on your description, your parameter list is too long to select one available value. You want to input some keyword, and then all of available values which are begin with the keyword will display in the parameter list. So, we can create cascading parameters. One is a keyword parameter, and the other parameter is based on the keyword to display available values.

For example, I have a dataset is named DataSet1 and within an EnglishProductCategoryName field which is select from a DimProductCategory table. In order to achieve this, please refer to the steps below:
1. Add a parameter, input “keyword” in both “Name” and “Prompt” properties, and then click OK.
2. Add another parameter, and then input “Category” in both “Name” and “Prompt” properties. In the left pane, select Available Values, and then select “Get values from a query” option. Set the Dataset, Value field and Label field like this:

Dataset

Value field

Label field

DataSet1

EnglishProductCategoryName

EnglishProductCategoryName

3. Right-click DataSet1, select Dataset Properties. Set the Query like this:
SELECT     EnglishProductCategoryName
FROM         DimProductCategory
WHERE     (EnglishProductCategoryName LIKE @keyword + N'%')

After previewed the report, if we input “A” in the keyword parameter text box, begin with “A” EnglishProductCategoryName will display in the Category parameter list.

For more information about cascading parameters, please refer to the article below:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337169.aspx

Best Regards,
Bin Long

• Marked as answer by aravind T Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:05 PM
April 20th, 2011 9:55am

thanks Bin for answer...i have another challenge like can we implement 'ALL' option in the cascading....like i have implemented using this link..

http://hardik-bhavsar.blogspot.com/2011/02/all-as-parameter-value-in-ssrs-oracle.html

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 20th, 2011 10:05pm

I was looking something like this and found this...Very helpful!

Thank you Bin Long

June 5th, 2015 12:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics