Reduced network speed to Server 2008 SP2 shares from Windows XP SP3 clients
HiWe are encountering some periodic problems with the network speed between our clients (XP SP3)and our file/printer server (Server 2008 SP2). When the problem occurs the server is very slow to open/copy files on the client computers.The server is not connected to the same switch as the clients, the two switches are just connected through a TP Cat5e cable. We have multiple servers and it's only the file/print server that has the problem.When the problem occurs the only thing I can do is reboot the server and afterwards the problem is gone. The strange thing is that we have just replaced the original file/print server which ran on Server 2003 R2 SP3 and it had the exact same problem, so I have had some suspicion to our HP ProCurve switches.Does anyone have any ideas?/LasseLasse
September 22nd, 2009 4:24pm

Hello,please check out:http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/20/tcp-chimney-and-rss-features-may-cause-slow-file-transfers-or-cause-connectivity-problems.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 24th, 2009 4:33pm

I hadsimilar problems in the last2 weeks ...my network shares would drop and anyone trying to access a share on the 2008 server would lock. I ended up setting up DNS on the server in question and pointing the clients to this server for DNS. I also turned off "indexing" on the drive that the share was on. Been working now with no problems. I also had a similar problem with a second 2008 server. any PC thatwas connecting to a share by IP would lock, IE: \\10.1.1.22\publicI changed the mapping on the workstations to \\Servername\publicand now they work like a champ.
September 24th, 2009 7:04pm

I have tried disabling the TCP chimney so we will see if it helps :-)I already have the DNS service running on this server and all the clients use it. I will also try to disable the indexing and we don't use shares by IP.Lasse
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 24th, 2009 9:48pm

One other thing... make sure the NIC in the server is set to a specific speed, not auto. I had one server that every once in a while would go crazy trying to resync with the switch. I set the speed manually and the problem went away.
September 27th, 2009 8:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics