Recurring event log corruption - need to find the cause
Hi, Our web server is running Server 2008 SP1, 64-bit Standard Edition. For the past couple days, we've been experiencing repeated corruption in the Application event log. Each time, we can fix the corruption by clearing the log. But the corruption always comes back, sometimes within an hour or two. We have a PowerShell script which checks the event log periodically and emails us about error events. Once the log has become corrupt, running "get-eventlog Application" from PowerShell produces the following output: Get-EventLog : Cannot read log entry number 696. The event log may be corrupt. At line:1 char:13 + get-eventlog <<<< Application Usually there are several valid event log entries displayed before the corruption error. The other event logs (System, Security, and so on) are not experiencing this corruption. If I look at the Application log in the event viewer, I see several events with no information at all. In the list view, they show the "information" icon, but all other columns are blank. In the "general" and "details" tabs, everything is blank. I thought about disk corruption. But since this is only affecting the event log, I'm skeptical that the disks are the cause. The server has a single RAID-1 array which shows a status of healthy. Write caching is disabled. All applications and sites hosted on the server appear to be working fine; only the event log is having problems. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have for finding the cause of this problem... Thanks, Richard
May 16th, 2009 2:24am

Hello Richard, From your description, the issue seems to be more related to Windows Powershell. As this forum is focus on general questions, to help you in a more efficient way, I suggest that you initial a new thread in the Windows Powershell forum to post out the Powershell script that you use in this case. You may get best support in the Windows Powershell forum Windows Powershell forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverpowershell/threads Thanks for your understanding.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2009 9:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics