Recovery pending after changing SQL user account

I posted this issue a while back but wasn't able to try a solution because we couldn't get downtime. Anyways, a user suggested changing the Service account using SQL server configuration manager and then trying.  Last Friday, I tried this and it didn't make a difference when I tried to roll the instance to another node in the cluster (all databases that are encrypted said "Recovery Pending").  At this point, I would like to remove TDE completely and re add.  Does anyone see any issues with this?  It makes sense to me since we just consolidated some instances and would be cleaner to use 1 certificate.

Thanks!

August 28th, 2015 1:10pm

Yes, removing TDE would fix the issue of the databases going through recovery.

The problem you are experiencing is due to master symmetric key that your TDE certificate is encrypted by. Once you change your service account, master key would not open since it is encrypted by server master key that is dependant on service account. All you need to do in the future in order to make this change, is backup your master key prior to service account change, change service account and password through SQL Server configuration manager, restore your original master key.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 2:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics