Recovering old NIC configurations?
I have a few VHDs who lost their VMs. So I've added the VHD to a similarly configured new VM. The catch is now, as the virtual nics are new, the OS (Server 2008 r2) is displaying 'lan connection 3' under network properties, and will prompt me that another nic is already configured with such and such address when I enter something that would result in a conflict. What I want to do is be able to see these disabled NICs so I can copy their configuration data to the new NICs and have things running as they had been. Thanks,
October 13th, 2010 2:38am

Hi Cheshire43, Thanks for posting here. Based on my test, you might like to follow the workarounds below to achieve the goal: · perform “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1” on the new server . · perform “start devmgmt.msc” to start device manager MMC snap-in. · Click “Show hidden devices” on the View menu in Device Managers ,so that you can see the old devices that are not connected to the computer. · perform “netsh interface ipv4 dump ” could check the configuration of the old NICs. Here is an article for you refer: Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 13th, 2010 11:45am

Thank you, I was able to find some of the basic configurations such as routes & IPs, but unfortunately nothing about the DNS/Gateway/subnet masks. -Aaron
October 13th, 2010 7:56pm

Hi Aaron Thanks for update. The DNS/Gateway/subnet masks information of old NIC is recorded in registry under path “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\<device ID>\ Parameters\Tcpip” Device ID could be acquired from old NIC properties in Device Managers, in my test environment ,that is {945BC07B-CD73-4E34-A611-4EF55530CEED} Hope that helps Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 14th, 2010 11:01am

Thanks a lot, That worked great!
October 14th, 2010 7:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics