Receive location using SBMessaging adapter disabled when Azure service bus is down

Does anybody experience  SBMessaging receive locations are disabled when Azure service bus is unavailable with a MessagingCommunicationException?  Is this an expected behavior / 'by design'? We see this exception a few times a day.  I don't see any retry attempts based on the event log.  Our current solution is to have a powershell script that enables the receive location if it's disabled.  This script runs every 15 minutes.  Below is a sample of the error in the event log.

The receive location "Warnings_SB_New" with URL "XXXXXX" is shutting down. Details:"System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: Error during communication with Service Bus. Check the connection information, then retry. ---> Microsoft.ServiceBus.Messaging.MessagingCommunicationException: Error during communication with Service Bus. Check the connection information, then retry. ---> System.ServiceModel.CommunicationObjectFaultedException: Internal Server Error: The server did not provide a meaningful reply; this might be caused by a premature session shutdown..TrackingId:bb29d71c-a4d5-430c-a2d9-8a2e3acfad1d, Timestamp:5/9/2014 2:38:19 AM

May 9th, 2014 11:33pm

There doesn't seem to be any retry count properties on a SB-messaging receive Adapter. So I would assume that the behavior is the same as a FILE receive Adapter polling from an NTFS folder. This will also disable itself as soon as a problem occurs (folder unavailable, wrong credentials etc.)

However, if you say that the Azure Service Bus itself (and not your Internet connection?) becomes unavailable on an average of 2 times a day, I would say that this architecture is not very clever. 

MS: Is this the case for the Azure Services and the SB-Messaging receive Adapter?

Morten la Cour

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 10th, 2014 6:29am

There doesn't seem to be any retry count properties on a SB-messaging receive Adapter. So I would assume that the behavior is the same as a FILE receive Adapter polling from an NTFS folder. This will also disable itself as soon as a problem occurs (folder unavailable, wrong credentials etc.)

However, if you say that the Azure Service Bus itself (and not your Internet connection?) becomes unavailable on an average of 2 times a day, I would say that this architecture is not very clever. 

MS: Is this the case for the Azure Services and the SB-Messaging receive Adapter?

Morten la Cour

Morten la Cour

If you found a solution to this please post it here. We see this error on a daily basis, sometimes several times per day on several of our queues. We suspect an internal networking problem is the cause, but we haven't proved it yet. We see two BizTalk Server events in our Application event logs, 5704 and 5649 which is the event you reported in your original post. In the interim, until we identify the underlying cause we have a Schedule Task that watches for those event log events rather than run on a timer. When the event occurs the action runs a PowerShell script to enable the queue and email folks who care. 

FYI, the Task Scheduler has built-in event log trigger, we didn't have to write any special script to do that. Our task has two actions, one to run a script to enable the queue, and another built-in action to email us everytime it runs.

It's a hack, I know, but it keeps us up and running until we find the critter that's causing the problem.

• Edited by klibbert Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:40 PM
September 11th, 2014 10:18pm

If you found a solution to this please post it here. We see this error on a daily basis, sometimes several times per day on several of our queues. We suspect an internal networking problem is the cause, but we haven't proved it yet. We see two BizTalk Server events in our Application event logs, 5704 and 5649 which is the event you reported in your original post. In the interim, until we identify the underlying cause we have a Schedule Task that watches for those event log events rather than run on a timer. When the event occurs the action runs a PowerShell script to enable the queue and email folks who care. 

FYI, the Task Scheduler has built-in event log trigger, we didn't have to write any special script to do that. Our task has two actions, one to run a script to enable the queue, and another built-in action to email us everytime it runs.

It's a hack, I know, but it keeps us up and running until we find the critter that's causing the problem.

Klibbert - We upgraded to BizTalk2013 R2 and the SB-Messaging adapter is much more stable.  Similar to what you've done, I created a powershell script to look for those errors and automatically restarted the receive locations if they were disable.  After we migrated to BizTalk2013 R2, the PowerShell script is no longer needed.  
September 21st, 2014 5:07pm

Can you share the Powershel
February 27th, 2015 12:14pm

Hi R. de Veen,

Below as the script we used with BTS2013.  We created a command line and setup a scheduled task.  Again, we don't use this script with BTS2013R2 since we do not have this issue with BTS2013 R2.

# Sample from https://github.com/tomasr/bts-ps-scripts/blob/master/bts-ports.ps
# declare our parameters: the action to take
#
param(
   [string] $action=$(throw 'need action'),
   [string] $name
)

$ctpRLs = @(
'Errors_SB_New'
#,'Error_OldTopic_OldLoggingDB'
,'Information_SB_New'
,'Warnings_SB_New'
#,'Information_NewTopic_OldLoggingDB'
,'Critical_SB_New'
#'Critical_OldTopic_OldLoggingDB'
)

#
# functions for pinging receive locations
# 
function uti-ping-recv-loc
{
	foreach ($rl in $ctpRLs)
	{
		Write-Host "`n"
		if (( $rl -eq '') -or ($rl -eq $null))
		{
			throw "Receive location cannot be blank."
		}

#Validate if this is a valid receive location
		#
		$recvloc = get-wmiobject MSBTS_ReceiveLocation `
			-namespace 'root\MicrosoftBizTalkServer' `
			-filter "Name='$rl'"
		if ($recvloc -eq $null)
		{
			Write-Host "'$rl' does not exist.  Skipping..." -foregroundcolor red -backgroundcolor black
		}
		else
		{
			Write-Host "Ping '$rl'..."
			if ($recvloc.IsDisabled)
			{
			    Write-Host "Restarting '$rl'..."
				bts-set-recv-loc-status -name $rl -status 'enable'
				Start-Sleep -s 10
				if ($recvloc.IsDisabled)
				{
					Write-Host "Failed to enable $rl.  Check the event log for more information." -foregroundcolor red -backgroundcolor black
				}
				else
				{
					Write-Host "'$rl' is enabled."
				}
			}
			else
			{
				Write-Host "'$rl' is enabled."
			}
		}
		$i++
	}

Write-Host "`nComplete!!!`n`n" -foregroundcolor green -backgroundcolor black
}

#
# enable or disable the specified
# receive location
#
function bts-set-recv-loc-status($name, $status)
{
   $recvloc = get-wmiobject MSBTS_ReceiveLocation `
      -filter "Name='$name'"

switch ( $status )
   {
      'disable' { [void]$recvloc.Disable() }
      'enable' { [void]$recvloc.Enable() }
   }
}

#
# controls a send port
#
function bts-set-send-port-status($name, $status)
{
   $sendport = get-wmiobject MSBTS_sendPort `
      -filter "Name='$name'"

switch ( $status )
   {
      'start' { [void]$sendport.Start() }
      'stop' { [void]$sendport.Stop() }
      'enlist' { [void]$sendport.Enlist() }
      'unenlist' { [void]$sendport.UnEnlist() }
   }
}

function is-valid-opt($check, $options)
{
   foreach ( $val in $options )
   {
      if ( $check -eq $val ) {
         return $true
      }
   }
}

#
# main script
#
switch ( $action )
{
	'ping-recv-loc' {
		uti-ping-recv-loc
	}

'/?'{
		Write-Host "`n"
		Write-Host "Syntax: .\RestartELCRLs.ps1 ping-recv-loc"
		Write-Host "`n"
   }

}

February 27th, 2015 1:17pm

Wow, thanks that was fast!

Is there any way to update the SB-Messaging adapters to the 2013R2 version on BizTalk2013? Any KB or CU or Setup.exe available?

March 3rd, 2015 1:12pm

I don't know if there is a way to upgrade the adapters to 2013R2 on a 2013 server. I personally would just update the entire system.
March 3rd, 2015 10:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics