Reboot fails. Have to manually selected EUFI at startup

Hi,

I've set up a new Server 2012 R2 Essentials server. I also used software mirroring for a RAID 1 configuration. All was working well initially.  Upon startup I'd get the option to choose from the Windows Server 2012 disk or Windows Server 2012 Plex.

Now, when rebooting we get an error that states:

Your PC needs to be repaired. The Boot Config file is missing some required information. File:\Boot BCD Error Code: 0xc0000034

This occurred on the first reboot after setting up Windows Server Backup and attaching an external hard disk. I don't know if having the hard disk attached messed up the boot sequence?

I've tried a number of possible solutions including rebuilding the BCD, but none seem to work.

To get it to boot successfully now, I have to go into the boot menu on start up. In there under the first hard disk, it give the option of a legacy boot or UEFI boot. I manually select UEFI boot and it starts up fine.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong here? How can I make the UEFI boot option the default? How do I get it back to offering the choice between Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 Plex?

Regards

• Edited by Rob_a_Dog Monday, July 20, 2015 11:41 PM spelling
July 20th, 2015 11:39pm

Hi Rob_a_Dog,

This error typically caused by the Boot Configuration Database could not be open, most times is the Hardware issue, please refer the following KB to fix it first.

Error message when you start Windows 7: "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2004518

Im glad to be of help to you!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2015 2:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics