Reason: Invalid login information

I can log in to a database with administrator account, but not with an user account.

I am getting "Invalid login information" error message. What will be the likely cause for this?

I am using Winodws authentication.

March 26th, 2008 12:44am

Assure that the active directory or computer acount has been added to the instance of sql server for a log in. Go to :

1. SSMS object browser

2. Open the Security folder

3. Open theLogins folder

4.Assure thatthe user or group is within the folder

5. Go to the user database Secuirty folder

6. Open the Users folder

7. Assure thatthere is auser that is mapped back to the sql login

If the login or user is not present you can add them by right clicking on the appropriate folder and choosing Add Login/User.

You can also use DCL t-sql statement to do this. BOL lists the syntax under CREATE LOGIN.

Code Snippet

CREATE LOGIN [domain\Administrator] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

CREATE USER [Administrator] FOR LOGIN [domain\Administrator] WITH DEFAULT_SCHEMA=[dbo]

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 26th, 2008 2:52am

According to your instruction, I checked for an user login setting. The user accout was there already. From the user's cmd window, I typed, sqlcmd -E -Spl-ptsvr\sqlexpress, but I got 'Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server PL-PTSVR\SQLEXPRESS, Line 1
Login failed for user'.

Is there anything else that might be causing a problem?

By the way, in Server Roles for any user, I have a check mark on 'public', and I can't remove it.
I want to assign this user 'dbcreator'. How can I remove the check mark?
(SSMS PL-PTSVR\SQLEXPRESS>Security>Logins>Login Properties>Server Roles)

Thank you,

March 26th, 2008 7:01pm

Caitac,

Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 18th, 2014 8:49pm

You cannot remove public, However If you have logged in with a user id that is either a sysadmin to security admin then you can add the user to a db_creator role too.
January 19th, 2014 12:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics