Really bad IO performance when mounting Azure File Service on Linux

I'm experimenting with Azure File Service, which we want to use to give a large number of worker machines access to a common network share. To benchmark the IO, I created and mounted a share using a Windows Server 2012 instance and copied a file to it, which yields a transfer rate of about 40 MB/sec (this is less than the advertised 60 MB but still acceptable).

However, if I mount the share on an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS machine, the transfer speed drops to 10 MB/s. I tried using different read/write cache sizes and turning off the caching, but nothing seems to help.

Here's the mount command that I use

mount -t cifs -o username=[...],password=[...],vers=2.1 //[...].file.core.windows.net/[...] /data

I also added rsize=65536,wsize=65536 (and other values) to the options. Any ideas how I could improve performance and reach the promised 60 MB / second? BTW I ran the tests on a DS7 / A7 machine, so the transfer speed should not have been limited by the network bandwidth of the machine as far as I understand. I verified this by running multiple transfers to the SMB share in parallel, which yields an increase in the transfer speed to 35 MB / sec (for all transfers together).

• Edited by AndreasDW 14 hours 43 minutes ago
June 29th, 2015 12:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics